Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updates

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Having just read the poster's challenge with explorer.exe after Windows Updates, prompted me to write.
I do NOT have automatic updates set and get to them regularly and do just one at time so I will be able to know if it has messed anything up or not and which one did it.
At the beginning of the week, I did the last one that was the malicious removal tool. Just as it suggested nothing else was running when I elected to install it. HOWEVER, it managed to wipe out a portion of my Internet Security Suite with Verizon. Finally, I had to uninstall and reinstall it. This was accomplished after spending a considerable amount of time with "support" because wouldn't you know it the part that was removed was a vital portion of the uninstaller.
**What is this all about?? a program that we paid good money for has to be constantly "Patched" and then those patches mess up other important things within the computer??
Well, thank you for a forum such as this for all the really needed assistance that you all give. you have helped many times just by the info gleaned from other postings. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have stopped updating my computers because of this problem. I am lucky that i really do not have to worry about updates on 4 of my 5 computers since they do not get on the internet. i do not seem to have the problems that many others make threads about. I don't even update my internet computer since i keep no data on it and can reformat and reinstall at any time. Theres really nothing to lose on that computer. I always backup downloads i get and files i make when i have enough for a CD.

I have even had a adobe acrobat update itself that totally messed up acrobat 7 so i dont even update programs unless there is something i really need.

SRX660

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:whistling: There is no reason to update Windows unless you play on the net. Just don't expect any support for XP-SP1 as it no longer is going to be supported, in readiness for VISTA! Soon after SP2 won't be supported.

So, download and save to a burned CD any and all updates of any kind, so that when you do feel the need to have them, they are there. I suggest that everyone orders the SP2 CD from MS before they stop offering them for free...it is a darn sight faster to install then the download/install method.

The last writer has the key. Save everything and anything to burned CD's. Then all you need to worry about is the time needed to do a full reformat and a re-install of whatever you need to survive. Don't load progs until you actually need them. Leave them on the CD for safe measure. They only take up space and resources that could be used for other purposes.

Regularly save your registry to a c:\Registry Backup folder for easy access. I try to do one daily and keep only the most recent few. :blink: