Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display properties - tabs missing

• Please log in to reply

opus461

opus461

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Using XP Home, just noticed that when I right-click on the desktop and choose Properties, all I get is a drop-down box to select a theme. There are no other tabs (screen saver, settings, etc). I've run several virus and spyware scans, nothing comes up.

The PC was purchased from Dell with XP Home installed. I've used the tabs many times before, but not for a while. Tried setting up a new user account, same problem. I do have access to the tabs in safe mode, but can't make changes.

Tried kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 285, right side, Restore All Display Tabs. The only thing that accomplished was to bounce me into WinXP's standard theme and screen saver, which I don't want (and now can't get rid of). Still no tabs. Tried a few other tweaks from that site, no luck.

Also tried deleting everything at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System - no change.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
This thread seems to be useful, solves the problem mainly by editning the Registry. In this thread, you'll find a post that has most, if not all, of the Registry edits needed so you can run it from one Reg file. If something wasn't understood, feel free to ask :-).

HTH.

Edited by Comnir, 13 August 2006 - 12:31 AM.

opus461

opus461

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Finally found a solution - http://www.winhelpon...ies-dialog.html

No idea why this worked and kellys did not...