Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Atapi CD-RW 40x12 not reading or writing!?!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
It all started about a year ago...

I made the biggest mistake on my computer that I have ever done.....

I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator v4.02c on WINDOWS XP :woot: :woot: :) :) :whistling: :blink: :woot:!!!!!!!

Just calm down.
phew. those were some pretty mixed emotions!

Ok. I installed easy cd creator & my cd drive crashed.
It turns out that easy cd creator had deleted my driver & replaced it with it's own older version!!!!

for a while anyway...

for about a year whenever I started up my computer it said there were some cd drivers that were making windows unstable & it had shut those drivers down.

However all thogh performance on my cd drive was right down it still worked good enough for me.
But a few weeks ago (about a year after installing easy cd creator) I tried burning adisc.....
The computer tried & failed. I tried again this time it said there was an error. I tried again: this time it said insert a blank disk. Which was odd as there was already a blank disc in the drive.

I went to my computer, ejected & reinserted the disk & waited. It said the cd drive was empty.
I put in a cd rom. It still said the drive was empty.

That was when I new this time something was seriously WRONG :yes:

Hey thats about it. Let me know if you have any Ideas on how I can fix this problem,

System Info:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Hardware Info:

Edited by daffy_elmo, 12 August 2006 - 04:58 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I think your drive went out.

You might have to buy another cd burner,

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Are you sure? because device manager says it's working properly!?!

Thanks for replying