Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup of wireless network

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop PC and am getting a Dell Inspiron notebook. I already have the router and the wireless usb adapter for the desktop, and the notebook already has the wireless 802.11 g mini card. I know this is a stupid question, but the software for the router - does the same thing get installed on BOTH the desktop and the notebook computer? I want to be able to use both computers as wireless. This wireless thing is all brand new to me, and I just don't want to foul things all up.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Assuming they are XP, you don't need any wireless software. These search results may help,

wireless setupWhen setup
Ad Hoc mode, make sure all wireless clients use the same mode, channel, ... Don't setup wireless devices directly under a Wireless Router. ...
http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm - Similar pages

dell wireless issues
Symptoms: 1) The Dell wireless network card cannot associate with the Dell access ... 2) The wireless network card drops the connection occasionally. ...
http://www.chicagote...ellwireless.htm - Similar pages

Dell wireless tipes
Dell Wireless Networking Tips. 1. Update firmware for both Dell router and Dell NIC and ... Don't have more than one software installed to do the wireless. ...
http://www.chicagote...relesstipes.htm

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
So you are saying that I DON'T have to install the software at all that came with the router? That's wonderful. SHould make things a lot easier.

Thanks.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I know it's a different solution, but I just want to add that you only install the router software onto the desktop. The laptop should only need software for it's wireless adapter. I would personally install the software, but if you have evidence that says you don't then that's fine too.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I was told that I didn't need an adapter for the notebook since it already has the card in it. I spoke with someone at Dell who told me that. I thought I had to install the router and the adapter to the desktop.
Isn't that correct?