Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Failure

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hey guys, my secondary computer has been getting blue screens when I try to do anything with graphics (such as gaming) or sometimes if I simply turn it on, so it's random. I'm not sure if it's overheating, or if maybe the HD is going bad... First, here's what triggered it... A long time ago I tried to add a new graphics card (8x) and the slot was 4x. Nvidia said that the new card would adjust in speed, so no worries. I did it, and it started having blue screens, so I uninstalled the drivers, and re-inserted the old card, along with its updated drivers. Ever since, it just restarts randomly. I can't pay games at all either. I don't know what the problem is here... It COULD be overheating, but I don't think the temperatures are bad, according to Everest. The temperatures on this old computer are actually better than my new one! I thought that maybe my HD is going bad? I don't know of any other parts witch exception to the card or HD that could have possibly gone bad. Please help if possible, as it's driving me crazy that I can't figure this out! :whistling:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well it's possible that plugging the 8x card into the 4x slot damaged the slot/motherboard... It could also be that the software for the new card didnt' fully uninstall or that it corrupted some files... you could try removing all drivers then reinstalling the drivers and then reinstall directx.

unfortunately some boards are not too hardy and if you install anything they don't like in them they just die.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Thanks. I reinstalled the OS about three times since, but it hasn't fixed the issue. I hope the board doesn't die! :whistling: