Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 conflict

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

That's when it stops loading Windows...right about the time the vid card drivers would load. Safe Mode works because it's using native Windows drivers. I'll have to research this a bit more to see if we can round up some compatable drivers somewhere.

So if I took out my video card it would probably work? Too bad my video card is the only way I can plug my moniter in. o0

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Has this card EVER worked with 98? Do you have an installation cd that came with it?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Has this card EVER worked with 98? Do you have an installation cd that came with it?

This is the first time I've EVER tried 98 with this card. Yes, I have the driver CD that comes with it. But I looked on BFG's website and it didn't mention 98 on the supported OS's. Should I just get a cheap PCI card?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I found the drivers for your card HERE. Click on the Drivers link on the right side of the page.

On the resulting page, in the selection fields, choose "Graphics Driver", then "GeForce and TNT2", then Win95/98/ME, and click "Go". Should be Release 80 (version 81.98).

Can you download this driver set directly to the Win98 machine?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I found the drivers for your card HERE. Click on the Drivers link on the right side of the page.

On the resulting page, in the selection fields, choose "Graphics Driver", then "GeForce and TNT2", then Win95/98/ME, and click "Go". Should be Release 80 (version 81.98).

Can you download this driver set directly to the Win98 machine?

Already tried those once... It says that the card is not found, and before I even dl'd them I read this http://www.nvidia.co..._supported.html and said "[bleep], its worth a shot."

In the end they don't work for a 7800. :whistling:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
K, so I got a PCI card and put it in, took out the PCI-e card and tried to boot in normal mode.. Can't.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Same time and everything... I got this card.. Can anyone find the drivers on a website? I'll download them, put them on my hard drive and put it in 98's partition and see if that does anything.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry, Comrade General, I somehow missed your replies... :whistling:

Let's try a repair installation. You will need 1 NEW floppy diskette and your Win98 installation cd for this.

Download this Win98SE startup disk and save the file to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file and, when prompted by the application, insert the floppy diskette into the floppy drive. This will create a bootdisk.

Start the problem machine with the startup disk in the drive...it should boot to the floppy. When you see the options screen, select the option to "Start with cd-rom support". It will load cd-rom drivers and finish loading to a command prompt (A:\).

At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter". The command prompt should change to E:\.

At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter". This should start the installer.

Let windows install over itself and see if it will boot properly once this completes. This procedure will not effect your data, but will replace the system files, reinstall devices, and tidy up the registry.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

I think I am going to give up and just get a really cheap, old computer one day or something..

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

I think I am going to give up and just get a really cheap, old computer one day or something..

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
No dice. =/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Where did you run into problems?