Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Screen Resolution

• Please log in to reply

Alan M

Alan M

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

I have recently installed a new hard drive on my HP Pavilion ze5375 notebook. I installed windows XP home edition on the new drive. However I believe there may be a problem with the screen resolution because when I scroll web sites or move explorer windows the movement is jumpy and not smooth as it was with my old hard drive. In the display properties menu I have two screen resolution options: 1024 by 768 pixels or 800 by 600 pixels. I dont remember what my options were when the previous hard drive was installed. Additionally DVDs will not play in the DVD player and the player gives the reason for failure as incorrect screen resolution. Any advice to solve this problem would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
Alan

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Alan M!

I'm figuring you don't have the video drivers installed for your laptop, but lets confirm this. Right-click MY COMPUTER, click on PROPERTIES, in the new window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Are there any items listed that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them? If there are, please list them in your reply.

If one of the items listed that has a yellow exclamation/question mark next to it is DISPLAY ADATOR, then please go and download and install your video card driver from HERE.

Fenor

Alan M

Alan M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks a lot Fenor. I followed the link you sent me and downloaded the driver and the screen problem is fixed. However, in the device manager there is still a question mark next to Network Controller. Also when I ran the HP diagnosis tool on their website it found a problem with Serial in addition to Network Controller. Any ideas on how to fix these?

There were a lot of drivers on the HP website in the neighborhood of the link which you sent me. Should I go through and download all these updates?

Thanks again,
Alan