Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am selling a computer, What should I do before hand?

• Please log in to reply

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I couldn't find any other category to put this thread in --So you get it here.

I am about to sell a 1gb + 500mb windows 98 desktop with monitor, keyboard, mouse and (of course) tower/cpu. I am selling it for $50.

I am making a list of things to do before I sell it to a friend of mine.
Here is the list, sequential in chronological action:

-Delete unwanted files
-Uninstall Programs
-Disk Cleanup
-Defrag
-Clean Computer [dirty as [bleep]!!!!]

[cannot virus scan, for this computer was NEVER online adept anyways]

What should I add to this list?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would reformat and reinstall the OS fresh either windows 98 or linux, that way all of your data will be destroyed and any errors accumulated over the years. You might want to put an AV if your friend is going to use the internet but its a handy thing to have even if you arent on the internet.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just reformat the bugger. I do that to my own computer maybe once every year or year and a half. Just cleans everything out. And $50? Selling it to a friend or something :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

And $50? Selling it to a friend or something :whistling:

It's got Windows 98 on it. He's just lucky he found someone to actually pay him for it. Most of the time you would have to pay someone to take a computer that old off your hands. :blink:

Fenor

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, alot of schools were giving away old systems like that to students because it was cheaper than the recycling costs of the councils own recycling program, they recycle some and refurbish other and sell them it covers the costs of the program just.

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Heh heh, it doesn't even have USB ports. Maximum of 1gb. Heh heh heh.

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

And $50? Selling it to a friend or something :whistling:

It's got Windows 98 on it. He's just lucky he found someone to actually pay him for it. Most of the time you would have to pay someone to take a computer that old off your hands. :blink:

Fenor

I actually downgraded it from ME. You all know why.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Actually Windows Me is quite good when you use the right components to build a computer. The trick with Me is that you had to know what you were doing from start to finish. I deployed Me on a zillion computers and had no problems with it at all. :whistling:

And to answer the question in the original post, unless you provide him with the Windows 98 CD you MUST delete the OS from the computer by Law. It is illegal to sell a computer with an OS and not provide the disk and license.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
If you also feel like your in a giving mood- open up the case and take a good vaccuum and clean the sucker out- it will take away alot of that noise and smell that cacn come out of the computer and make it smell and also sound a bit new

good luck!

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

If you also feel like your in a giving mood- open up the case and take a good vaccuum and clean the sucker out- it will take away alot of that noise and smell that cacn come out of the computer and make it smell and also sound a bit new

good luck!

That's not a bad idea at all... :whistling: