Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB got a CODE 10

• Please log in to reply

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ive got a Sandisk micro cruzer USB 2.0 drive and I tried to run it on Windows 98. It said I had to get the drivers so I downloaded the drivers from the official website. I followed the instructions and put my USB in... and nothing happened.

I then went to device manager and it said that "the device is not present, not working or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10)"

I reinstalled it and it still didn't work.

I tried it on my XP and the drive worked, so its not the drive

Anyone have any suggestions?

Japstar

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm figuring since the the computer is running Windows 98, that it is very old and most likely only has USB 1.1 ports on it and not 2.0 which is what you would need to run the Sandisk Micro Cruizer USB 2.0 flash drive. That is also why it works in your XP machine just fine because that machine is newer and has USB 2.0 ports on it.

Fenor

Japstar

Japstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
so I can't do anything to fix it?

japstar

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card. They cost about $20 or so plus shipping. Also, even though I'm sure youd do, make sure you have Windows 98SE installed and not just normal Windows 98 or else the USB 2.0 PCI card will not work.

Fenor

Japstar

Japstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok, anyway thanks for your help. At least I know that my pc doesn't have 2.0

japstar