Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I wish I could give you better help but I've pretty well run through the tips and tricks we use where I work to get our customer up and on the Internet (I work tech support for an ISP). The only things that we haven't tried is completely removing the TCP/IP and re-installing it. This is something I've never found neededn with XP but Is something I've done with Win9x on occation to repair connectivity. After a little research into doing this with XP I think It unadvisable as it takes some registry modification to do and the Nut Shell (netsh) commands from command promp accomplish what an uninstall/reinstall do. One other thing is to try the NIC in a different PCI slot to see if that makes the connection.(Thank you SC for the suggestions) The last thing I might try before a complete Reinstall of the OS is force the connection by hard coding the NIC. This sometimes makes a connection work. Instructions for hard coding your connection:

Start/ Control Panel/ Network Connections, right click on the Local Area Connection and select "Properties". Select Internet Protocal TCP/IP and highlight it. Click on Properties. Change from automaticly obtain IP to set IP and enter an IP that is in the range of your modem/router DHCP Server (e.g. 192.168.1.103). Enter the address of the modem/router into the gateway (e.g. 192.168.1.1). The subnet mask should default to 255.255.255.0. Now enter the gateway adress into the first DNS adress and click OK. Click OK onthe Connection Properties and the changes should take effect. Restart the PC and see if that worked.

Other than being sure other PCI devices (sound cad, video,modem) work in the slots a reinstall is the only option left.

Advertisements

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Formatted my hard drive and reloaded windows. Still no joy. I am totally at a loss now. EVERYTHING else works just fine. All my programs and applications operate just fine. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for all the help you've already give though. Is there any chance that there is something wrong with my motherboard that could be causing the problem?

Edited by kawichick, 01 September 2006 - 07:15 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I think you maybe right. If the Device Manager shows all the drivers are installed and nothing showing in yellow then I would think that something wrong with the mainboard. If you have other devices that you can try in the PCI slots and have them recognized in the Device Manager then the mainboard is probably good and this is one of the unexplained things that happens.

Right now is not a bad time to consider a new PC with the resent drop in chip prices. I've seen big box systems at prices that I can't build the same system for the same price.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
hello I do recomend you to do a sistem restore to a day before you start having the problem

kelly106

kelly106

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Formatted my hard drive and reloaded windows. Still no joy. I am totally at a loss now. EVERYTHING else works just fine. All my programs and applications operate just fine. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for all the help you've already give though. Is there any chance that there is something wrong with my motherboard that could be causing the problem?

since last three days I am facing exactly same problem but no luck. I did everything mentioned in this thread but no luck......if you get the solution please post it.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The only other thing I can think of to try is a USB to Ethernet adapter if the modem doesn't have duo-connect capabilities. If it does work the adapter would be needed to run a router since most routers don't have USB connections.

BenLomond

BenLomond

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure if this will help, but I had a sort of similar issue a while back with Win98. Systems where upgraded to wireless and move to a new office. (Systems where donated) But I had all sorts of weird issues connecting them. They would sort of work and then completely not. Other times they would not work at all. The answer was the ethernet settings on the unused connection. Telling windows to disable the ethernet connection was not good enough. I had to first set the IP to one that worked on the subnet I was attaching to. They still had the old subnet information. Then go back and disable them. Then as if by magic the wireless ethernets were able to connect.java script:emoticon(':whistling:', 'smid_18')
:blink:

grahameo

grahameo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone I have had this similar problem I followed silverbeards advice on the msconfig "bootini safeboot network" and yes I could access the internet in safemode. so back to restart-msconfig-disable all. No connection!! what next, back to start -run-msconfig-normal startup-restart'
And wonders will never cease "CONNECTION". So thank you Silverbeard, I will now go and put ointment on all my bruises where I have been kicking myself for not going down that route from the start.

Many Thanks

Graham

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Don't feel to bad. I've been doing tech support for ISPs for a few years and have yet to figure out why sometimes you boot into safe mode, the internet works then you go back to normal mode and the Internet works where five minutes before it didn't. It use to happen a lot after McAfee updated.

CoachT56

CoachT56

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I see this is an old post but I'm leaving my advice anyhow. Since there are two other systems connected we need to know what their IP addresses are. Depending on the ranges, you are probably being given public IPs and the ISP is only allowing a certain number of IPs to be delegated to your modem and the mac addresses of those systems. Hope this helps someone.

Advertisements