Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GENERIC HOST PROCESS SHUTDOWN, ASSIST PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i am using winxp sp2, and while on the net today, i am experiencing a serious
problem. I receive a message " GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR W32 SERVICES HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND WILL NOW CLOSE".
I lose my connection to the net, but at the same time I cannot "disconnect".
Is this malware/ virus and what can I do?

Thank you,

Liz

Advertisements

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello.

I got almost exact the same problem. 5 min after booting the errormessage "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" has encountered a problem and needs to close. It doesnt start a shutdown, but the sound doesnt work anymore, but the drivers are all installed and in the device manager it sais the sound chip is working properly. I am totally desperate. I scanned the system with: Antivir Personal Edition, Spy Sweeper, Kaspersky Antivirus, Stinger , Spybot S&D and a few more. I have googled for days and tried everything that was suggested there. I installed the windows update, thats supposed to fix this problem, didnt work. I looked up Windows Image Aquisition (WIA), but it was turned off the whole time. I changed the Internet time to time.nist.gov, didnt change a thing. I simply reinstalled all the drivers, and after restart, same error. I checked for Blaster, nothing found. I did everything i could think of. :whistling: --please help!!

chekov.

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Click Start then control panel then administrative tools. click on event viewer.

In event viewer right click Application click save log file as and then save it as your name and application so for me it would be AtribuneApplication.evt

Do the same for system accept change the name to your name and system again for me that would be AtribuneSystem.evt

Upload both of those files to http://www.uploadmalware.com

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I solved the problem. I simply booted from the CD and "repaired" windows. Probably only a broken system file... Thanks anyway.

Chekov

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Liz...

Please download and install This Security Update and let us know if it resolves the problem.

wannabe1