Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup troubles

• Please log in to reply

suiker

suiker

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My computer had a stop error (winsrv, reinstall etc) so I tried that. That didnt work so just to get on my comp again I installed a second XP on the same partition. Now at least I can get to all my files. But the other, original, XP doesnt startup at all now. Not in safe mode, not at all. And in my new XP my Display cannot get larger than 640 by 480 (16bit)

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi suiker...

Sounds like you need to install the video card drivers. I'd be willing to bet you are missing others, as well. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click the "Device Manager" button. Are there any yellow ! or ? displayed next to any devices?

wannabe1

suiker

suiker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Wannabe! Thanks for responding.... Yes I was missing a whole lot.... Meanwhile I found my device driver CD, installed them all and now I have my sound back and my screen is 1024x768 again... Kept me busy all day. Also still have all my documents but lost all my MS Office programs. But cannot complain, as I thought this would be the end of my laptop..... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you don't have the disks to reinstall the Office programs, you might consider trying Open Office. It's a free alternative to MS Office and will access Office documents.

suiker

suiker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I will. Thanks in any event for being there, hope to not have to speak to you soon :whistling:

Greetings from sweet me, suiker