Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

thumbs

• Please log in to reply

D2k

D2k

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
what are 'thumbs', they are placed in My Pictures, My Music and My Videos and probably in other folders on my PC, i can only see them if i open the folders in Windows Media Player although they appear blue.

Could it be to do with my Virus Scanning program 'eTrust AntiVirus'

also can these files do any harm/damage to my PC or hard drive (even if they are antivirus files). ive added an attatchment so you can see what i mean.

Thanks in advance :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• image.JPG

Edited by D2k, 13 August 2006 - 10:43 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi D2k...

This is Window's way of cacheing it's thumbnail previews...it can be deleted safely, but will be regenerated on the next boot. This can be disabled in "Folder Options" (under the "View" tab) by ticking the box next to "Do not cache thumbnails" in the "Advanced Settings" list. Apply the settings and reboot.

wannabe1

D2k

D2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Many Thanks :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts