Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help : Weird Internet Connection Lag Problem

• Please log in to reply

megamyx

megamyx

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi, i've been having a weird computer problem since yesterday. i'm not certain where to post this thread, since it deals with internet connection i think it falls under this section.

anyway, i need major help..! the trouble started & it happens after every internet connection. it'll start out well after the connection, but after 15 or more minutes my computer starts to slow down. suddenly, i couldn't open any application, folder, & even the window task manager. i could only access the programs that i've already openned before the slow down occur. but the programs doesn't function.. like with internet explorer i could scroll down & up, i could click links, click the toolbar icons, etc. but the program doesn't function, no changes will occur in the browser or on the page. all i could do is restart my computer, but the problem re-occured. the problem arises faster (about lessthan 10 minutes from connection) especially when i'm downloading with or when azureus is openned.

the only good thing is i'm not experiencing this problem when i'm offline or not connected to the internet.

hope somebody could help me out.. this is really urgent. what should i do...?

by the way, i'm using windows XP, 256MB ram, dsl connection about 1mbps, processor is athlon xp 1.7

Edited by megamyx, 13 August 2006 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you using XP pro or home? Have you tried a System Restore to a date before this problem happened? (Start> All Programs> System Tools> System Restore)

I would also check your device manager (Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Mgr) for any errors or triangles. Your driver or modem hardware might have gone awry.

Azureus is a P2P and carries a lot of risk from malicious codes. At G2G we strongly encourage people not to use P2P, and do not provide assistance with it, other than attempting to clean up the messes it makes. You would be wise to run through the steps on this page:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
and have one of the malware experts give your system a clean bill of health if the problem persists, or if you have reason to believe there could be a chance you've got problems from Azureus downloads. What sort of firewall and security do you use for protection? That info will help the malware team.
Johanna

megamyx

megamyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
can't believe this.. i just restarted again. i tried to log-out here but nothing happened.

hi johanna, thanks for the reply. i've tried the instructions from the link you provided except winsockxpfix & clean up. is cleanup same with ccleaner? coz i'm using ccleaner to clean up my computer & registries. i've also tried device manager & everything works just fine. i'll try your other advice.

by the way here are for more info on the effect of my problem...things i couldn't do when the problem occurs :

-can not shut down, restart, log-off the computer thru start menu. i can only turn-off or restart by pushing the restart or shutdown button of my computer or cpu tower.

-i couldn't open any application & software thru start menu, desktop & even thru hard drives.

-i couldn't open or access "my network places", LAN settings, network connections (its status, disable & repair). couldn't check & configure my tcp/ip or properties of the LAN cards.

-couldn't disconnect internet (dsl) connection.

-i could open "my computer", but doesn't show any files, folders or Drives upon openning "my computer". it only shows the animated flash light, like it is browsing & searching for the location of the drives. it'll just stay that way & get stuck here. nothing will happen.

-nothing happens when i type the following : (in the commandprompt or cmd) ipconfig, ping, hostname, etc. it will just show a "_" cursor below its line. & nothing will happen after that; couldn't type anything anymore.

-when i use azureus to download, it'll start out fine. but then as i've descibed in my above post... that after 5 or lessthan 10 minutes, azureus malfunctions, it will not work or doesn't download anymore. all the smilies or status will turn into red from yellow & green. no bytes are uploaded & downloaded.

really need help...asap. i couldn't do anything.

Edited by megamyx, 14 August 2006 - 01:22 AM.

megamyx

megamyx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i tried everything : system restore, device manager, scanned my computer with antivirus, adaware, spybot s&d, ewido, etc.. still no progress. didn't detect any virus, malware or any threats at all. i just hope ccleaner didn't messed up my computer. hope it's not a hardware prob.

please... somebody... need help. really in a tight situation & i need to resolve this prob. like to know what caused this.

johanna : i'm not using any firewall right now.

Edited by megamyx, 14 August 2006 - 09:07 AM.