Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage constantly at 100%

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It looks like it could be a few different things that are causing your problem. One of the main things that "jumps" at me is Yahoo Companion. Either it has become corrupt, or is not entirely compatable with your computer. Let's try removing it and see if things improve.

Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs

Look for Yahoo Companion and/or Yahoo Toolbar and remove them. Reboot and see how things are running.

If it is running the same, download the following attachment and run it:

It will save a file onto your desktop called "attach this to your reply to me". Do just as it says :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 September 2006 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
i am back... will try. thanks

Edited by landa321, 09 September 2006 - 01:33 PM.

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
i removed the yahoo toolbar and at first, it appeared to be a little better, but now it seems like it's back to it's old habits. maybe it was just my imagination that it was better?

anyway, i've attached the file.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

it appeared to be a little better, but now it seems like it's back to it's old habits. maybe it was just my imagination that it was better?

A little of both. There are a few things that are being accessed over and over by different programs. These files are probably corrupt. And since they are temporary, they are completely safe to remove. Here's how to do it:

Step 1
Downlaod the following attachment. Do NOT run it yet!:

You may want to print out my instructions since you will not have access to them after the next step

Restart your computer into Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode: restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Make sure it is just Safe Mode, NOT Safe Mode with Networking.

Now you can double-click on the fix you just downloaded and unzip it by dragging it out of its compressed folder and onto your desktop. Now double-click on it to run it.

When it is done, restart your computer and let it boot normally.

Try your computer out, and see if the problem still exists. If so, move on to Step 2:

Step 2
You have a very large Hosts file. This is either because of Spybot's immunize feature, Spyware Blaster, and/or IE-Spyad. The size of the Hosts file is due to an addition of security measures to help prevent you from going to infected sites. However, in your case, it looks like svchost (which is a legitimate process) is accessing it repeatedly. This may or may not be contributing to the cause of your problem.

The following fix will rename your current hosts (so you don't lose it) and then restore the original hosts for windows XP. If this does not solve your probelm (or at least aid in fixing it), I can easily restore your old hosts, with all of it's security additions. In the event that it IS a contributing factor to your problem, I can offer a substitute security measure, which will make up for its loss.

Download the following fix, but do NOT run it yet:

You may want to print out my instructions since you will not have access to them after the next step

Restart your computer into Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode: restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Make sure it is just Safe Mode, NOT Safe Mode with Networking.

Now you can double-click on the fix you just downloaded and unzip it by dragging it out of its compressed folder and onto your desktop. Now double-click on it to run it.

When it is done, restart your computer and let it boot normally.

Try your computer out, and see if the problem still exists. If so, move on to Step 3:

Step 3

Go to Start, Run, type command and press enter.

Now type sfc.exe /flush and press enter. When it is done, type exit and press enter.

Now go back to Start, Run and type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter.

Let me know if it asks for an XP CD. If it does, then you probably have some corruption of your operating system.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 September 2006 - 11:22 AM.

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
i hope i am not speaking too soon, but so far, so good.

i think it was Step 2 that did the trick.

I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

You are awesome!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool! :whistling:

And if it stays fixed for the next few days, let me know. In that case, I will give you a security program that will take the job of the "buffed up" hosts file you had. :blink:

WaningGibbous

WaningGibbous

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Cool! :whistling:

And if it stays fixed for the next few days, let me know. In that case, I will give you a security program that will take the job of the "buffed up" hosts file you had. :blink:

hi, thanks for the informative thread. I would like to know the security program that you are referring to. I have a host file that I would like to replace.

Thanks in advance.

rojaslaz

rojaslaz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the 1-2-3 aproach by computerwiz 12890 seems to be the final solution to this nightmare im also going through, BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ATTACHMENTS??

PLEASE RE POST!!!!!