Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Windows Update is turning CPU to 100%...

• Please log in to reply

ossint

ossint

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
When I try to use the updayte feature in my XP Home edition it does not load anything but stucks into a "..checking your updates..." and the CPU goes 100% and nothing happends. No traffic on the internet. Any ideas, machine is cleared via AD-Aware.

Greatful for any advice on what to do. Would like to keep my XP resonable updated.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ive seen some pcs take like 10 minutes to load the freakin page :whistling:... You could try letting it run for 10 minutes, see if it changes...

Or you could enable automatic updates, tell it to simply tell you when updates are available, then you can choose when to install them and which ones you want to install.

Go to your control panel to enable/change autoupdate settings... see if it works for you.