Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error

• Please log in to reply

Julia.G

Julia.G

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello!
I seem to be having that same Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error that SO many people are having. I've read all I could find about it, but it looks like nobody's got a definite answer on what to do. In my case, the error pops up at seemingly random intervals and tells me that there was a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error and it will have to be shut down, or something like that. It then asks me if I want to send a report, and if I don't click 'Send report' or 'Don't send report', and just leave it there, nothing happens for another 10 - 15 minutes or so. But after that, the internet suddenly stops working, nothing connects anymore, and if I try to see the 'status' of the connection, the window just blinks and disappears again. Also, I get this weird thing for a moment, as if my Windows XP windows went back to their Windows 98 style, all square and grey.
After the internet stops working, and won't let me disconnect and reconnect, the only way I've found to make it work properly again was to reboot the PC.
I've seen weather I have that Windows Update 918899, and I don't think I do. I've tried using system restore, even though I didn't think it was gonna work (it didn't), since I didn't have anything installed/uninstalled lately, and I am currently considering defragmenting my disk. Does anyone have any idea at all why this is happenning? Has anyone succeeded in fixing this?
Thanks,

Julia

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
try this

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=894391

download your appropriate version of windows patch...

if you have windows xp, you probably have the 32 bit, most people have... post your pc specs if you dont know

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, that was a nice try, but it didn't work at all. :blink: I'm still getting the same stupid message, and then my internet stops working. :whistling:
Any more ideias? =D

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the patch here

http://www.geekstogo...ls-t125890.html

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip