Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosts File keeps changing

• Please log in to reply

HijackedinSeattle

HijackedinSeattle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried every thing posted on the internet I swear to try to get rid of the following entries in my hosts file. They keep coming back after I delete them.
69.20.16.183 search.netscape.com
69.20.16.183 iesearchmsn.com
69.20.16.183 auto.search.msn.com
I have ran Spybot, Spydoctor and yes even HiJackthis, however did not want to purchase another one as I have already purchased the previous two. They report it as a variant of Look2Me. I have followed directions posted on numerous web post and pages. I have deleted registry keys after turning off Explorer. I have deleted msgxxxxxxx.dll's and others. I have spent hours and hours doing tons of things.........Editing registry keys.........deleting cookies, temp files, IE History.....

I have jacked up my Firewall, the security on my browser, I am scanning for viruses daily, everthing is up to date all MS OS Hotfixes and Virus DAT Files. I use McAfee

But my web browser will launch all by itself to some strange website advertising crap and my Hosts file will once again have this IP address in it. Even if I lock my hosts file it makes a copy.

I am exhausted. Can you please help me?

Advertisements

ilago

ilago

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 363 posts
HijackedinSeattle

Can you go through the steps here http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

When you've completed that you'll be asked to complete a HijackThis log to copy and paste into this thread so we can help you.