Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Final Config

• Please log in to reply

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
So here's what I have for my first build attempt ever:
  • eVGA 256-P2-N564-AX Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail
  • SONY Combo Drive Black IDE Model CRX320EE/B2S W/O SW – OEM
  • Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply – Retail
  • ViewSonic VA1912wb Black 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor – Retail
  • CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 – Retail
  • 2 X 250GB Western Digital WD2500YS SATA 3GB/S Raid Edition 7200RPM 16MB OEM
  • Cooler Master Centurion 532 Silver, No PS
  • Cooler Master Mini Liquid Cooling System
  • Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse #S82-00032 (Black) (DSP/OEM)
  • SONY 1.44MB Black Floppy Drive + FDD Cable
  • Logitech S100 2-PC 2.0 Speakers 3.5MM 5W (Black)
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 Full Version OEM
  • ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX Intel Motherboard – Retail
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 – Retail
Altogether it ran me about $1960 before rebates.

What do you think?

Any tips for a first time build cuz honestly I'm a little intimidated no matter how many walkthroughs I read.

Edited by apritske, 13 August 2006 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would ditch the water cooling all together its not needed and that istn a good kit also a bad idea for a first timer, i would save some cash and get a non SLI board you wont need SLI and itll save some cash, also just get XP home as vista is not far off and to be honest there isnt enough in Pro to make it worth the extra price tag for most users especially this late in the products life. Also you might want to get one big drive it saves space and heat in the system should be roughly the same price maybe a little less for the 500.

Then with the cash you save either keep it and get something like a nice keyboard or mouse, or upgrade the CPU to nearer the 6600 which is the best price/performance chip. Also the 7900GT is that the pre overclocked version if it is just get a standard and you can save even more and its easy to overclock it yourself.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I also agree with warriorscot. Here's a few more recommendations:

You can save some money further by going for the ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail still a great board; just no SLI

Unless you otherwise really need Windows Pro, just get Home.

come on, THOSE speakers? You have a $2000 budget. Unless you aleady have a pair of headphones or something that you'll be using almost all the time instead of those, give your ears a little justice with something a bit more like these or these

I'd recommend getting a DVD burner, because you never know you'll need to burn a dvd and they're barely more expensive.

ditch the water cooling, get a non factory overclocked 7900gt. The e6400 is already such a great chip you don't really need to upgrade it though but it's your decision.

Edited by MNOB07, 14 August 2006 - 12:28 PM.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
im not sure i agree with buying the E6600, i mean its only clocked higher, and the difference between the conroes (e6600+), and the allendales (E6300/E6400) is that conroe has 4mb l2 cache, and the allendale has 2MB l2 cache, i dont really see whats wrong with 2MB, i mean the highest and AMD has is 2mb and thats with the opterons and some x2, and Fx. so just go with a E6300 and just overclock it, IMO.

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, to be honest I'm not looking to make any replacements as I actually have all these parts - but thanks for the info.

Can you guys give me any pointers on building?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hehe, lol nah just follow the motherboards manual they are usually more building manuals than just a manual on the motherboard. Make sure you have the sata drivers on a floppy, and i wouldnt bother with the water cooling i would send it back if you havent built a pc before its out of your league and to be honest that kit is one of the worst you can buy its not got any advantages over good air cooling.

PS the 6600 is ALOT faster a whole different league you have to overclock the [bleep] out of the lower cache chips even to get it close to the 6600 performance(not to mention overclokcing the 6600 itself then it really is untouchable), cache makes a massive difference in that type of cpu design as it relies heavily on it for its speed. And in case you guys dont have much expereince overclocking isnt easy or safe by any means its still dangerous and to do it properly it hasnt gotten any easier.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 August 2006 - 09:26 AM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I just want to add that you may want to use some kind of anti-static equipment to avoid damaging your new parts. I use an ESD (electrostatic discharge) wristband attached to a grounded metal object to put myself, my computer, and any parts at the same electrical potential to avoid shocking anything. You can shock and destroy a component without feeling or seeing anything. A local PC or electronics store should have one.

Also, figure out how to route your cables for easy access (and looks since you have a window in that case). Airflow doesn't matter as much since you have water cooling.

Good luck! :whistling: