Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Clock Issues..

• Please log in to reply

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello. I've recently been toying around with CPU Clock speed because my computer wasnt running as fast as I wanted it too. The issue I have here is that I have been getting crashes on a random basis each day, but when I underclock my CPU the crashes stop.. The thing is that.. I really don't wanna sacrifice the performance when I know that my cpu SHOULD be running at what I had set it too. Here are my specs and my CPU clock when I put my computer together, when I overclocked, and when I underclocked..
CPU:AMD Athlon 2800+ XP
Motherboard:EPoX EP-8KRAIPRO Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT880 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail 2-3-2-5 timings
GPU: Sapphire ATI X850 XTPE
PSU :AeroCool Silver Line AEROPOWER SL450 ATX 450W Power Supply

CPU Clock (put together, first boot.) : 100 mhz (fail-safe settings.)
CPU Clock After overclock: (In compliance to RAM speed) 166mhz
CPU Clock: (Stable no crashes) 110 mhz

Obviously.. we see here a large sacrifice for stability, and I know that I did NOT have to do this with my old Asus nForce 2 motherboard. Right now I'm at a loss to see what might be going on.. I believe that it might be a bad pair of ram? I'll have to run memtest tonight and check it out.

Gah. Help? :whistling:

Advertisements

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Bump.

EDIT: Oh yes also, I know that it is not an overheating problem.. The CPU is running at 40 C.. and the case at around 20 C.

Edited by Errorsftl., 13 August 2006 - 08:20 PM.

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just tried to set the ram speed to 166 mhz with the cpu at 166 mhz and got a lockup 3 minutes after reboot. Ack. Any other ideas?

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
the reason you are getting crashes when its overclocked because the cpu is the cpu is overheating

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

the reason you are getting crashes when its overclocked because the cpu is the cpu is overheating

40c should be perfectly fine for a CPU should it not? I mean I've had greater heat loads on the CPU in my old nForce2 Asus mobo and it worked fine. I even had the case off and room air conditioned for 4+ hours with colder temperatures still getting crashes.

Errorsftl.

Errorsftl.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Problem fix. Just had to download new chipset drivers. hehe.