Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DX10 vs. DX9 graphic cards

• Please log in to reply

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hello once again. My friend has another question for you guys. He just bought a nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 graphics card. He then thought if it was worth it. He would like to know if he should have waited for DX10 cards or should he keep this card?

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
haha doesn't really matter, all cards become obselete in 6 month, dx10 will take a while and new cards will be very very expensive. So a 7950 will last for a while. but it really depend on how much ur Friend spent on it.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

dx10 will take a while and new cards will be very very expensive

First, I too contemplated just buying a new card but I play games fine now and don't really have the spare cash to whip out for the X1800GTO I wanted, so I've resorted to waiting.

As for the quote I quoted, everyone seems to believe that they'll all be obscenely expensive. If you get a high end yes. The low ends won't be too bad (not cheap but not over the top for new cards). I would have waited but it kind of depends on what he had before that too :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Prices wont be anything special just because its DX10 doesnt mean it has a ridiculous markup there will be a range of cards just like normal from low end to high end and a high end will still probably cost less that a 7950 as they are actually cheaper to make than DX9 cards as far as i know. They are also many times more powerful thanks to the new DX version being more efficient and the card design is also twice as powerful as the current best dx9 cards so even if they were more it would certainly be worth it.

And most cards actually dont become obsolete in 6 months cards that came out a year ago are still pretty good and current even older cards are still used because gfx power has improved but not phenomenally but more importantly the DX version has remained the same meaning the cards are all running on similar principles and something that is compatible in one is compatible on every other meaning they arent truly obsolete, with changing something as critical as the DX you alter the way the cards are fundamentally operated making older cards incapable of doing things the new one can thus making them truly obsolete, also DX10 the first cards come out as early as september from Nividia and Early december from ATI so they are less than 6 months away.

7950s are also a bad idea now not just because new cards are on the way but because they are incredibly expensive and unless you have $1000 monitor for the gfx card to work with they are totally useless as you only see the benefits at high resolutions(thats what dual cards are for) they arent there to make normal resolution users get better fps as it would be superflous as the single card solutions at the top end are just as capable at normal resolutions and the difference wont be noticed so you essentialy increase the power requirement of your system drastically increase the heat output and noise all for pretty much nothing, unless again you have a monitor that cost more than the cards and half your PC.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well i guess ppl have different standards on what really really expensive is. for a dx10 card that's equal in status (not performance) with the 7950 it's gonna burn a pretty big hole in the pocket of the buyer. And new technology always cost more.... 1. because they are new 2. because it's pretty hard to get a hold of it. Take Core2duo for example... the 6600 list for 480-540 on most canadian online stores, but no one knows how many will be avaliable and ppl are already selling their preorders on ebay for twice the price..... It takes new technology for at least 6 month to a year to come down to an affordable price levels for the majority of consumers.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

dx10 card that's equal in status (not performance) with the 7950

No. The DX10 card will blow the higher end DX9 outta the water. So you'll be able to get a better card for probably less than you could a 7950.

because it's pretty hard to get a hold of it.

That's cuz it's not out yet :whistling: No, most companies aren't going to treat DX10 as an exclusive item or anything. After it's out a couple months if that there will be a great selection to choose from.

6 month to a year to come down to an affordable price levels for the majority of consumers.

You mean the lazy ones without jobs? :blink:

Edited by BlackPandemic, 15 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a 7950 will struggle to compete with mid range dx10 cards looking at the specs and improvements, and prices wont be anything special like i said when the R4xx came out they were decent prices when the 6 series came out the prices were good, and the r5xx and 7 series were both released with very fair prices.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
My opinion, I would have waited on the dx10 cards before I spent that much on a 7950. You could have gotten like a 7600gt, 7900 or 7900gt at max and saved alot of cash and still be able to play games at high settings on the last 2 I suggested.

With the cash you saved you could of gotten a good dx10 card right when they come out. Your only going to be able to play games on Max settings on that 7950 for about 6 more months then right when the dx10 games roll out like crysis you will be struggling with the 7950 abit on high settings and you wont be able to play dx10 games in dx10 mode, it will be forced to play them in dx9 mode and you will loose alot of visuals and eye candy...