Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DVI OR VGA AND MS TIMING ON FLAT LCD SC

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello I have a "SAPPHIRE RADEON 9550 256MB 128BIT" video card, and I am buying a new lcd flatscreen for the first time in my life. My video card has more than one output... as in you can connect different things on it. But I do not know exactly what can be connected as I am new to system building and such. Anyways I heard there are different kinds of connections that come with lcd flatscreens. VGA, and DVI or whatever else there is. I also heard that there are different MS (ie: millisecond) speeds, or well at least I think that is what it stands for.

My questions are:

1. What is the best choice for me when I buy an lcd flatscreen, dvi or vga? Does it even matter? I want to keep up to date with these things so I don't want to use old technology. If some dvi thing hooks up to my vid card and is newer technology than vga, than I want that. Please tell me...

2. Does it matter if a lcd flatscreen is 12ms or 8ms? Is there a big difference? I hope that means milliseconds. If so than I bet it does'nt matter. I just want to know as I watch a lot of movies on my pc, and play 3d games.

This is the lcd flatscreen I am thinking of getting:

LG LCD FLATSCREEN

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok first of all can you please stop using capitals in your topic titles it is considered yelling and is rude
now after my winge:

the difference between DVi and VGA is DVI is digital and the other is not at the moment digital is probably the way to go and i say this because if you look at all of the high end video cards that are out there now they all have 2 DVI outputs and no VGA so it would be a smarter choice to get one that has a DVI plug for the future but you can always get a DVI to VGA converter which i have at the moment and you should have got one with the 9550 cause thast were i got mine

the difference between ms timming is that 12ms is the time it takes for the Liquid crystalls to return back to there normal position or there new position so the shorter the response time the less lag or ghostng that apears after the object
if you look at some older(or should i say the first) LCD screens (TV LCD) when you veiw them up close the object say teh person has a slight ghost trailing behind them
the shorter the respons time the btter the picture quality will be i have an LG 19" 12ms LCD and it has done me just fine i havent noticed the differnece between 12 and 8 exept for the price difference :whistling:

the one you picked out is one model up from mine i have the L1950S and the screen is great and crisp i havent seen any lagging or ghosting on this monitor yet

i would suggest getting that one but if you want the bragging rights and you have the money then get a 8ms screen but in my opinion its not really worth it you wont even notice when playing movies or games

troppo