Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot write to CD-RW

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
After inserting a CD-RW and "copying" files onto the CD, the CD Writing Wizard says "There is no disc in the drive". Well, there is and clicking "next" just redisplays the same message.

I have used the same drive and the same brand of CD successfully. It is only 3 particular CD's that have this problem.

When I first started burning CD's, I used a couple of them as a "backup" of my data and I "copied" all my mp3 files onto 3 other CD's (the ones that now act strangely).

At one point, my hard drive started having problems and eventually wouldn't even boot. I bouoght a new hard drive and recovered my OS from my original CD's.

Next, I tried to recover my data that I had copied to CD. Well, both of them acted strangely, sort of like they were blank CD's. They would make sounds and rev up, but they never did respond and nothing was visible on either of them. I even tried a recovery product on them to no avail.

I scoured the web looking for a similar poblem but couldn't find any quite the same.

I then tried to read them on other PC's, even different OS's, but the results were the same.

In desperation, I reverted back to the web and I found something that looked a bit promising. It said that the IMAPI CD-burning COM service in control panel/performance & maintenance/admin tools/services should be set to "automatic", rather than "manual", as sometimes it fails to start when required. This seemed to be the case with my system. After a reboot, I still couldn't read any of the CD's, but I am able to write to the 2 that I thought had my data on them. The other 3 still won't write.

BTW, also in desperation, I hooked up my old hard drive as a slave and lo and behold, I was able to recover my data and mp3's.

Back to the problem...
It seems to me that when I first tried to write each of the CD's, the process went through the motions, but never really wrote any data or music to the CD's. This would explain why there didn't seem to be any "burn marks" (rings) on the CD's. The "burning" question (pun intended) is why can I now burn onto the 2 CD's and not onto the other 3 (all the same brand) and all having gone through the same process? The only difference I'm aware of is that 2 were used to try to write data and the 3 I can no longer use were used to try to write mp3's, but this is probably a red herring. I can't imagine it makes any difference to this problem. I've been a little reluctant to buy new blank CD's for 2 reasons: a) I'm afraid I won't be able to write to them b) I'm a po' boy.

BTW, I recently read something about turning down the speed when writing CD's. I tried that and it had no effect on the problem, as expected.

Any ideas, anyone?

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
why dont u try burning software, lik NERO, uc an get a trial i believe.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I'll look for any burning software with a free trial, but I have a feeling nothing will write to it. It's like windows doesn't recognize that there's a disc in the device. No discee no writee. I'll be back...

Ok, the product I installed does the following:

It indicates size of image to burn and available space on CD. Available space always shows 0 (zero). If I try to burn without a CD in the drive, the software says exactly the same thing. Again, it's as if there's no disc in the drive.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 15 August 2006 - 12:03 AM.