Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sounds. Cant play music..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
This happened to me yesterday. Just go to C:/windows and click on one of the crab icons... The blue computer lookin' crabs... Click one of the three.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
the wha? What the...?

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
"InstallShield Engine has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

thats the message i get..

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
and i dont know WHAT that dude is talking about.. crabs?? wha??

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ive run out of options.. not sure what the [bleep] to do.. ive tried installing all the drivers. no dice.. nothing is working.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
That dude is talking about a folder

open my computer...on c: drive open..then open the windows folder..look for blue icons guess they are shape of a crab kinda funny but hes right

mine doesnt open...lol opening crabs lol

but he never said what your supposed to if the program opens

ALCXMNTR>>>thats the name of my crab>>LOL<<

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Dont have anything like that on mine..

Anyone else with any ideas?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Have you tried doing a System restore go back to a earlier time when you had sound

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ive never actually had sound since i reformatted and reinstalled my XP..

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so you reformatted and erase drivers you can only get with a cd but needs updating from onlineMMMMMMMMMMM i wonder if theres a program out that could go into your old windows and get those drivers back from the old device manager some thing to look into or maybe some knows how to do that

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you ever considering trying to down load another media player there are some out there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jacoberrance...

The easiest way out of this mess is to give "Frankenstein" a new set of vocal chords. Sound cards aren't that expensive and it will save you hours of trying to get a Creative card working if you don't have the installation cd for it.

That being said, is this an integrated sound device or an actual card mounted in a PCI slot on the motherboard?

wannabe1

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
its mounted into a PCI slot.

The thing is, I've reformatted this once before, completely, as I did this time, and got it working fine..

Ive never actually had the cd for this.. I got the computer from a friend a year or two ago, in exchange for some work I did for him..

Soooo. Yeah.

Whats my best bet for a cheap soundcard? I dont need anything fancy at all.

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
also. i seem to be having problems with the automatic xp updates.. it says my product registration code isnt valid for some reason.. it lets me install, but it does seem to be causing problems.. microsoft says i should get the automatic upgrades to fix this issue, but id need a valid product code, but mine is giving me a weird message.

any way to fix this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report in html format, zip it, and e-mail it to me...I'll PM you with my address.