Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sounds. Cant play music..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
sorry it was a dead end

Edited by rushin1nd, 17 August 2006 - 10:06 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to the WinAudit report, the Sound, video and game controller drivers haven't been installed. These are motherboard chipset drivers and would definitely explain why there's no sound.
snddrvr.png
Go to the Gateway Website and click on the Gateway Update link located in the Download box (right side). This will scan your machine for available drivers and updates.

Follow the Gateway instructions for installing any drivers found.

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have followed ALL the directions, even the manual install, and it STILL doesnt work..

Now Im getting a message that my XP is not a valid version, and I need to re-register.. And it wont do any windows updates or anything..

I think im screwed more ways than one right now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For the registration issue, you may have to give Microsoft a call. They are actually pretty good about getting this straightened out so long as the OS is a legal install. To get the number:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click "Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement", click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click "Next". A phone number will appear based on your location...call it.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message: "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows" click "OK".

Let me look back over the report...that's the only thing I saw the first pass...everything else seems correct. I will double check, though.

You may have checked this, but it wouldn't hurt to look at it again. Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that Your Sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2006 - 08:35 PM.

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
honestly, im starting to think it might not be.

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

That dude is talking about a folder

open my computer...on c: drive open..then open the windows folder..look for blue icons guess they are shape of a crab kinda funny but hes right

mine doesnt open...lol opening crabs lol

but he never said what your supposed to if the program opens

ALCXMNTR>>>thats the name of my crab>>LOL<<

SEE I AM NOT JUST HIGH! There should be other crabs. Open them... Eeew. One installs, one uninstalls and one boots. I can't tell you off hand the program names. The program automatically installs the sound driver.

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

According to the WinAudit report, the Sound, video and game controller drivers haven't been installed. These are motherboard chipset drivers and would definitely explain why there's no sound.
snddrvr.png
Go to the Gateway Website and click on the Gateway Update link located in the Download box (right side). This will scan your machine for available drivers and updates.

Follow the Gateway instructions for installing any drivers found.

OH OH! PWNED! I was right!

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
It is also highly likely that if your pc is old, somewhat old, that even though gateways auto update is installing the drivers, windows xp will not run them properly due to the drivers not being signed and/or what not. It is possible that you cannot have the drivers for your card on winxp.

To be honest though, sounds like something funky is going on with your pc.

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
apparantly we've got a 12 year old kid on here taunting me. ANYWAYS..

AitrusSkyy.. thanks. i think your right.. something is funky, and to be honest, for some reason, its saying the XP is a counterfeit copy.. Never has before. Regardless.. Its been acting very strange since.. Just have to get a new version apparantly.. Somehow.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

apparantly we've got a 12 year old kid on here taunting me.

Don't let it bother you...it happens from time to time... :whistling:

Have you tried calling Microsoft to see if it is a problem on their end? I've run into that quite a few times. What does your installation disk look like? Is it from Gateway or Microsoft? A Microsoft cd would have a holographic label.

Advertisements

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
its not a microsoft disc.. it is, alas, a burn.. but i was told that he backed up his install disc, then lost the original.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And therein lies the problem... :whistling:

I'd be willing to be that a reinstall of a legitimate version of XP would resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, our Terms of Service won't allow us to provide further assistance on this problem. If you install a legal version of Windows and still have problems, please feel free to ask for assistance. I'm sorry it took so long to get to the bottom of this...and thank you for your honesty and understanding, it's very refreshing.

wannabe1

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well I wouldnt say theirin lies the problem... whether the key of his copy of windows is valid or not, the issue is the drivers, a chance it could be windows update? yes, but likely hood no, if the drivers dont work it probably wont work...

Anyhow, anyone can attain a liscensed copy, but it isnt cheap, its 100-150 dollars for a string of 20 numbers and letters lol... One good reason to use linux, its free... :whistling:

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 21 August 2006 - 05:23 PM.