Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot / Partition help

• Please log in to reply

Gazza G

Gazza G

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a computer running 2000, and wanted to install XP along side it. How should I go about doing this - can someone explain dual booting / HD partitioning so that I can keep the current OS & files and install the new one? Thanks.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If you only have 1 hard drive with 1 partition, you will have to use a Partition Editor like Partition Magic to resize the partition with Windows 2000 on it. This will allow you to create a new partition that you can format for Windows XP. Before doing this, you will want to backup all important (preferrably everything) data just in case something goes wrong.

To resize a partition, you will need a tool like Partition Magic. However, it is fairly expensive. If you want, there are Linux tools like QTParted and GParted that can do it for free, but they are not as easy to use as something like Partition Magic, Disk Director, or Partition Commander. Still, you can't beat the price. :whistling:

When you setup XP, it should automatically detect the Windows 2000 installation and give you the option to boot from either one whenever you start your computer. edit: Sorry, this step is once the main partition is resized to create free space. XP cannot safely shrink a partition, so make sure you have free space before installing XP.

Edited by Pi rules, 14 August 2006 - 09:01 PM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
http://www.download.com features a program called Partition Logic. I have used it the past 4 days working on 3 different pcs, doing a dual linux/windows boot. I was able to resize a windows partition and not lose a thing and its a free program.

It will ask you to resize partition or, resize file tables and partition ( choose the resize file tables and partition, so it makes sure it doesnt drop files when resizing the partition )... its the recommended option in the program none the less.

Its a free program, burn to cd and boot to it, works very nicely.

Like Pi said though, you can never be to sure, so back your stuff up before you do it. And dont do it if you dont know anything about partition, I dont mind walking you through it, and im sure on these forums there is a walkthrough.

Gazza G

Gazza G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So when I resize the current partition, it will create a new partition for the new space? Say for example I have a 10 GB hard drive, make the current partition 4GB and it will now have a 6GB partition?

Then will XP let me choose which partition to save to?

When you setup XP, it should automatically detect the Windows 2000 installation and give you the option to boot from either one whenever you start your computer.

Does this mean that I could install XP without needing to partition?

Or could I have a

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
When you resize the partition it creates free space. You can create a new partition with that free space with whatever program you used or with Windows XP setup.

Does this mean that I could install XP without needing to partition?

Sorry about that. I meant after you repartiton. Edit: I changed my original post to avoid future confusion on that. Again, I'm sorry I didn't specify that.

Edited by Pi rules, 14 August 2006 - 09:02 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
NO you must re partition