Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD : TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN ! PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Edward C.

Edward C.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, the other day a storm came through and i noticed my power flickered and the computer restarted. The pc restarted and once it did my hard drive failed to startup. Formatting it fixed it but all was lost of course. Then now my pc will be running fine, and i do have all the updated sound drivers and fixes and whatever but say i'll be playing windows media player and it'll just lock up and restart. I have a screenshot of my error and here is the actually error...

I have ran dxdiag, memtest, and also already bought a new and better power supply and i've got passes on all of these, no failures....so i know it's not one of those.

TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN

STOP : 0x00000012 (0x00000002, 0x8001003b, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please contact me if you can with any help...
e-mail : edited out email for security...unless you like spam don't post your email on an open forum
Aim : Howlingcivic99

Or keep replying to my messages.

Edited by dsenette, 14 August 2006 - 07:29 AM.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok, the other day a storm came through and i noticed my power flickered and the computer restarted. The pc restarted and once it did my hard drive failed to startup. Formatting it fixed it but all was lost of course. Then now my pc will be running fine, and i do have all the updated sound drivers and fixes and whatever but say i'll be playing windows media player and it'll just lock up and restart. I have a screenshot of my error and here is the actually error...

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Storms can be incredibly damaging, I see routers go bad more than anything due to a simple lightning strike...

I honestly cant tell you what the problem is, simply because its one in a million of symptoms. But I will give you my best guess.

My best guess is that, the storm when it knocked out your pc, it ruined either your memory, or motherboard... Since you have ran a memtest, that probably rules out the memory, especially since you can run windows at all.

I would do a hard drive scan, and possibly check into pricing a new motherboard.

When power goes out and pc is on, usually the HD is the thing that gets messed up, because it was currently reading when the power went out.
If the power went out with a surge or rather bang, then it is possible part of your motherboard is fried...

Edward C.

Edward C.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As a matter of fact, i ran a memtest the other day not memtest86, it was like one of the most popular though on downloads.com and it gave me 0 test results. But check this man, i ran memtest86 last nite and awoke to 576 errors. MEMORY DIED!!! I e-mailed corsair and hopefully i'll send my dead ones in and get new ones.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Awesome, if its just a mem error you are lucky... butch watch for other stuff... I have had many motherboards get struck even through a surge protector. In most cases I get this weird thing where the ethernet adaper is installed, and the computer says its working fine, but it wont ever detect a cable plugged in... thats the most typical damage I see in these cases.

Ram usually has a 1 year or lifetime warranty on it, so good luck :whistling:.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
How many memory cards are in side your computer

if you have 2 or 3 you can try this

power down your computer and wait a few minutes before you physically unplug it from the power bar

open up the tower side panel or what ever steps it requires.

check to see how many memory cards or ram you have inside.

if theres more than 1 then switch them around physically removing each one and putting it ahead of the other chances are maybe 1 memory card is damage not allowing the other one to operate if thats the situation you need new ram

after you changed them around put unit back together and start up as you normally would

Edward C.

Edward C.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried that and still nothing. I believe it's my motherboard now in retrospect. Im going to my local shop and see if there is any there he can use and test with my setup and confirm. I don't know what to say...

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
physical memory take bout 2 to 5 hours then your computer starts ok but it will do it again

save your important documents and pictures and music

any other important ones notes mydocuments etc

try not to worry bout programs they can be downloaded
save the mentioned then if you try to work on computer

Edward C.

Edward C.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe it's got to be my motherboard now...only other possibly idea i have. I believe a voltage regulator might have screwed up or something.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is your computer being looked in the shop or your doing this task yourself

Edward C.

Edward C.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Im diong it all myself of course. So far, i've replaced the Power Supply. Took ram to a working computer and it passed memtest86 fine. My video card worked fine in another pc and normal as in mine also. I am 99% sure it's my motehrboard. I also put more thermal compound on the processor