Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 3

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I am a huge call of duty fan... probably 2000+ hrs on cod coduo and cod2. I was so happy when i saw the preview and the game play footages of the next in the series Call of Duty 3. It looked real good..... and i was ready to grab a 3000 dollar machine just to play it on maximum settings until.... i read the fine prints. It is not gonna be out on pc platform-console only. Some 1 at activision took the wrong pills..... one of the greatest FPS in the history of pc games is not gonna be released on pc? I don't get it, fps is meant to be played on a pc with a keyboard and mouse..... not a controller on a ps3 or xbox360! Why?Why!Why? Some sort of pathetic attempt at turning pc gamers into console gamers?? *hmm all your bases is belong to me?*

Anyways I am just angry at their decision and I think they are making a huge mistake. The game's tag line is In War, No One Fights Alone.... I think they just left all the pc gamers behind. Any1 else angry? Cause I am ready to start a petition.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I read it was coming out for PC just a couple of months later and under a different name as they are adding extra content for the PC version and it will have to be altered in order to make use of the more advanced DX10 cards as the consoles use first generation dx10 the PC cards are second generation and much more powerful.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I read the same thing as warriorscot about it. It'll be one of the first game I get with my new PC. As i love the WW2 style games :whistling: Hopefully the delay isn't to long though......
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 August 2006 - 02:12 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think itll be a couple of months shouldnt think it would be longer than that, its normal for them to do the full game for the PC, then just strip stuff out and optimise for console as the PC takes more work and its easier to work backward and means they all come out at the same time, but i think they want to capitalise on PS3 and 360 while they are slugging it out as its when games sales will be good then come in with the PC for the hardcore later.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm from what i read.... COD 3 is purely console since infantry ward has nothing to do with it and it's made by the studio that made big red one (crappy). COD 4..... Yes COD4 will be made by infantry ward and will be for pc however... rumours floating around suggest that it might be modern warfare.... Which won't be good at all cause they still haven't covered any of the battles in the pacific theater. COD2 expansion is something floating around too, but i don't think that it will be that amazing unless they go UO style and drop in some vehicles.
Anyways what's the ETA on DX10 cards? (does it also mean that all hardcore gamers have to buy vista to play dx10 games with dx10 settings?)
Hehe imagine bashwars played on a DX10 card... (Fight CLUB!)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you know what we read youll just have to wait and see, its unlikely though they wont make a PC version as its to much cash its quite possible there will be an independant version for the PC than from the console.

And the pacific theatre would be sacrilage you cant do that A. pacific theatre doesnt make as good a game because of the nature of the operations and B nazis are easy to hate and kill because from the first time you played a shooter many of us were kraut bashin.

DX10 cards late september from nvidia then the big daddy dx10 cards frmo ati in early december, to play a game with dx10 effects you require a dx10 card but you can still play using dx9 effects which arent all that bad, for example all the game play footage of crysis is on DX9 mode on current hardware so its not that bad.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Pirates are killing PC gaming.

Have you looked at the paltry selection of PC games at ANY retail store lately? Modern games cost a LOT to produce, and the PC market sometimes doesn't justify the expense. It's a business decision. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but if you like a game, BUY it!

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah PC game pirating is everywhere, but for a multiplayer oriented PC game like the COD series... everyone who plays online has a legit copy of the game, and that's a lot of money. I think that money is only one aspect of the decision. It's a lot easier to make a console game too. Virtually nothing needs to be done after realeasing the game, no worries about cheating, no modders, no server config problems, no cries for constant patches, and no "OMG i bought the game and I can't play it cause of errors!".

Regarding the piraters.... It's wrong to do it we all know it, but why do they do it? and why do ppl downld them? While i feel that every penny i spent on my 3 collectors edition call of duty games were worth it (180 cdn) for some1 else that really don't have that money, what can they do? NO i am not saying that stealing cause ur poor is justified, i am merely suggesting that maybe the gaming industry is a bit tooo greedy, i don't mind spending 30-40$ dollars for a game but when it hits the 60$ range (or the 100$ per game pricing suggested for ps3 games) it really becomes a concern. I firmly believe that cheaper games will get more ppl buying it. Yeah there's the argument that no matter how cheap the game is it still cant beat the price of pirated games, but ppl would really rather buy the real thing and be able to play multiplayer too if they could actually afford the game.

No matter what the business ppl say they are still filthy rich with all the profits that they are making on popular games like COD, CSS, BF2, WOW.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The PC game pirating thing is often blown way out of proportion a good 2 thirds or more of people who pirate games would never have purchased the game in the first place and alot buy games for multiplayer and again people who have pirated a game will often go and buy it if they can afford and like it and it has a good MP to the contrary of propaganda most people i know who will pirate some games WILL go and buy it if they like it and if you look on forums where people pirate games youll see they do buy the good ones its just the bad ones they dont, look at the success of valve they have made alot of money not because there games are hard to pirate(hard but not impossible) but because they have excellent support and good multiplayer for all there games and not to mention low prices. And as a point of example how MP makes and breaks games, Quake4 was a good game and it was heavily pirated but it had a poor MP which meant many people who pirated werent inclined to go and buy it for the MP.

Console games are way overpriced, and the amount of money in games is huge true it costs alot of money to make a game but the money back is also massive especially for PC gamers who will go and buy them because PC games arent as expensive and many play online, and with game franchises like COD and quake you arent exactly taking a risk even if the game sucks people will still buy it, look at BF2 its not even half as good as its predecessors and in the industry it was ridiculed by many for not living up to expectations its still a hugely popular game. Alot of its propaganda and its not fair to tar pirates as badly as they do sure the makers lose "some" money but it isnt the huge amounts they are making out the majority like i said who pirate games either cant afford them or wouldnt buy them in the first place and with game companies cutting back on demo materials these days they only encourage it as nobody wants to buy a game to find out it sucks. Its hard to justify not putting in the money for PC because of poor returns because people who buy

Also i havent seen any of this PC games disapearing from shelves supermarkets here ALWAYs had a rubbish selection of games for PC and the games they do have are usually kids consoles games, shops like game(formerly known as EB) still have huge PC game sections and alot of people these days order there games online as its more convenient you get new games faster and its at least £5 cheaper.

Its hard to justify not putting in the money for PC because of poor returns because people who buy PC games are usually older more savvy people and the reason you wont get good returns isnt because of piracy its because your game isnt any good.

Back in the day if you wanted a PC game but wasnt sure you would get a loan of it from someone with the game try it then buy if you like it PC pirating really is just an extended even less legal way of doing that for alot of people, i know ive borrowed games to try over the years and even if i complete them if they are good ill go and buy it, a good example is HW2 a game i wouldnt have bought if i hadnt played it before got a loan from my uncle liked and bought it for myself. Max payne 1 and 2 i would never have gotten either if i hadnt been loaned a copy of 1.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I remember the old games like Wolfenstein. The first mission was free, you could pass it around. It was great, so you bought the other 3 and\or 6 missions. This won't work today as well i think because of the size of games, but its the system that was good. Maybee buy the games cheap, and download the extra levels at a price, or register online with a once only CD-Key.
I bought GTAIII and GTA SA for $35. The console price was alot more for these games.
I beleive that companies make Malicious software deliberatly, just to teach a lesson to some would be piraters, crackers, etc. and really, I can't blame them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I can blame them its irresponsible look at how much damage starforce can do, and these are legitamite customers pirates arent affected by copyright they bypass or remove it, and the people who pirate games like a said are also big customers you would be surprised how many chronic pirates will go and buy a good game or if they played a predescor illegitiamately they will go and buy the next one, another good example is companies who intentionaly dont put restrictive DRM they do just as well in spite of it because pirates see it and think thats good and will actually be tempted to buy the game, the civ seriesis like that alot download if they like it will buy it or its sequels another factor is they are reasonably priced. Alot of people are impatient so download the game then buy it once the price drops to something reasonable, i cant realyl defend it but i understand why people do it and it has a twisted logic and you would be surprised how prevalent the robin hood logic is among people, its hard to sympathis with people complaining about pirates stealing there games when they dress in $1000 suits and arrive at press confrences in £500,000 cars.