Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Counter Strike source, ping\latency problem

• Please log in to reply

Slider92

Slider92

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
While playing CSS, sometimes my ping goes up to about 400 after playing about 5 min. Im not running any programs while playing. Please help me!

Edited by Slider92, 15 August 2006 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you made sure to fordward the appropriate ports and turned off any firewalls.

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
nope. Or I tried disabling firewall once but that didnt show any difference. How do you forward ports? I dont know how to do it!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
google it youll need to find the specific guide for your router, the best website is portforward.com .

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
But the weird thing is: when i first bought the game i didn't have this problem. Why now? I think it may be some other problem. Ok anyway: I have Zyxel ZyAIR B-2000 v.2 router. At portforward.com this is the message:

The ZyXEL will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run Counter Strike. You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available. Alternatively you can try switching the router to bridged mode. You will need to contact your ISP to switch to bridged mode, so they can make the required changed on their end.

What the **** is DMZ and how do I use that? I tried finding at google but didnt find any specific.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Try changing your IP (turning your router off and back on again) i get pretty bad lagg when ive been downloading so i disconnect and recconect and its fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im not a network guy but ill explain best i can DMZ is the demilitarized zone basically an area where there is no router security it sets up a decoy to the router to protect it from attack but doesnt have closed ports they are all open all the time.

http://en.wikipedia....one_(computing) first place i look for info im not sure if is wikipedia its better thn google even if you have a good idea of what you want to know.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 August 2006 - 07:47 AM.

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thx Rumble291! It worked! :whistling: :help: And thx for helping u too warriorscot! :blink:

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok maybe it didnt work anyway..=P

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Is there any patch or anything that can make it better? Other online games have that!

angryamerican

angryamerican

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
while you are playing, type net_graph 3 into console and read what comes up....

there are also different rates you can try that might help...

search the steam forums for differnet configs you can try...

also what are your system specs...

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
you dont have any Norton products do you cause they can cause lagg spikes etc. Is any1 else downloading or something on the router? Upgrade your routers firmware from the routers manufacturees site that might help as mine had a problem with itunes and sut the internet off lol

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have no norton applications on my computer as i know its no good. I have trend micro Pc - cillin internet security 2006.

My system specs are very good:

Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.00 GHz.
2 GB RAM
ATI RADEON 256 MB Graphic Card.

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
If you have an Nvidia card the most recent drivers have been giving me issues with Source and Oblivion, and my computer is exceptionally well cooled. Try turning off automatically restart in properties of My Computer, if yuor problem is the same as mine it should crash to a blue screen of death mentioning nv4_disp.dll
If this is the case, and you can, roll back to an older driver. The new ones somewhat suck in my experience :/