Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Pictures

• Please log in to reply

researcy

researcy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I dowloaded some pictures off of my camera two days ago. The next day, I tried to copy and paste to my DVD burner (in order to make a backup). Now they are gone. I can see the file in thumbnail mode with the little Microsoft Picture Manager logo, but when I click it I get the red X in place of the picture. I also have a file called Thumbs, that says it was modified yesterday (about the time I was copying). Is there any way to get these pictures back or am I out of luck? I have tried copying the bad pic to a flash drive and seeing if it will pull up on a different computer, but no luck. I did a system restore to five days ago, no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
open internet explorer, file, open and browse to the picture in question. this will at least show us if its the software or pc that has the issue.

researcy

researcy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used the steps you mentioned, but it wanted to open it with Picture Manager. It did not show the picture, only the red X.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can run checkdisk. Open my explorer, right click on c: drive, go to properties. click on the tools tab. select error checking. On the checkdisk screen select both options. when you click ok, it will prompt to run at next restart. restart pc and let checkdisk run.

This may or may not fix your problem. Your pictures could have been corrupted on transfer or you could have had some issues with your hard drive.

researcy

researcy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry, been out of touch. I ran the chkdsk, but still the same results. It's as if the thumbs have been corrupted somehow by my trying to burn the pics from the HD to a CD. any other suggestions?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you don't have the original files from the camera (or memory stick) then there isn't much we can do.

researcy

researcy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for your help