Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services ERROR

• Please log in to reply

xoraxora

xoraxora

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I need help :help:

Some time ago some of my friend started complaining about this error msg:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services ... needs to shut down.

the debug code is:

EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107ed6
P4 : netapi32.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096ac P7 : 0000a3c0
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

the scarry thing is... NOW I GET THIS ERROR. :whistling:

what's more,

internet connection fails, though not always
sound mixer stops working, although sound is still there

now since this seems to spreading i guess its malware or a virus, but my antivirus software is up-to-date to the minute and symantec does not report anything on it.

So help PLEASE :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xoraxora...

There sure has been an awful lot of this going around lately. We're still not sure exactly what's going on, but try the following.

Go HERE and download/install the security patch for your installed operating system. Let us know if this resolves the problem.

wannabe1

xoraxora

xoraxora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx for the prompt reply

I have already tried this

It doesnt help, unfortunately.

i tried the repair feature from my windows installation CD, that seemed to work for a while. But then the msg started appearing again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Worth a try...it seems to help on some, not on others. :whistling:

We're looking for the solution to this one...the usual fixes don't seem to have much effect. If I get wind of the solution, I'll be sure to post it for you.

xoraxora

xoraxora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I don't want to get too hopefull, but I haven't gotten the error since installing

WindowsXP-KB921883-x86-ENU.exe
in addition to
WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.exe

I am not sure if its due to the patches or because I haven't used msn messenger since. I have tried to isolate the source of the problem:

Since this only happened while I was online I wanted to see if it happens with any net application. So far nothing. I left msn Live for last, because I first got the error while chatting with a friend who had the problem on msn Live.

I wonder if its related.
I will start msn live now and chatt with that same friend... here goes nothing

xoraxora

xoraxora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well It looks like the MS06-040 patch really did the job. I haven't had that dreaded error message for two days now, Same for my friends.

Thank you for the help, but please let us know when you figure out the cause of the problem.

Thanks again, I love this forum

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, our OS Admin, Keith, posted about a potential problem back on August 11th in the Tech Discussion Forum. It took us a while to put the two together. That and the fact that the patch doesn't seem to be effective in all cases.

Please let us know if you have any more issues with this error. (your friends, too)