Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer S-Video expansion card

• Please log in to reply

jimmystaxwax

jimmystaxwax

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, my friend has a TV that has S-video, but no S-Video on his computers motherboard. Is there an S-video expansion card you can put into the computer so he can use the S-video feature.

any help appreciated

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well normally they are found on a graphics card
according to what your saying is that he is running onboard graphics or Intergrated

there wont be an s-video output on a motherboard so i would suggest that he went out and bought a graphics card anyway for 3 reasons
1) he will be able to use the s-video output option
2) the PC will run heaps smother and heaps faster
3) he will be able to play games and everything else

the reason for this is because it will take the load of a CPU and make his system run faster because it also frees up memory

depending on the type of system he might be able to eithe get a PCI, AGP or a PCI-E card
can we have some system specs please?

if he doesnt no what he has in the system downlaod and install THIS
it will tell him everything that is connected to teh motherboard and what speeds he is runnign it and most importnatly will tell us the expansion slot available in his computer

if theres anymore questions or you dont understand anything just ask :whistling:

troppo

jimmystaxwax

jimmystaxwax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks troppo,

basically he just wants to watch movies on his TV instead of his monitor... so hes just looking for the cheapest solution. But a new video card might be the best way to go. :whistling:

Edited by jimmystaxwax, 15 August 2006 - 12:12 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well sometimes it is i no that it might seem a little expensive but you will notice a huge performace gain
and you dont have to buy a really high end card you can always just get a low end card if hes not into gaming

if you want some help picking out a certain video card then i would be more than happy to help out
just let me no some specs and a budget and then we will get to work :blink:

troppo :whistling:

Edited by troppo, 16 August 2006 - 03:58 AM.