Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lack of Physical Memory?

• Please log in to reply

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Lack of Physical Memory? Um what does that mean? When i start my computer it goes to a blue screen and says lack of physical memory..then it restarts automatically.

I have 2x512Mb kingston(3200). I'm thinking about getting new ram; i don't know if i should stick with just 1GB or move on to 2GB. Can u guys recommend some brands?

*I am a gamer(mainly counter-strike)

Edited by t3chnon3, 14 August 2006 - 11:03 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it could be that you have a stick of bad RAM but even if one of them is bad the OS should still run on 512 thats enough for it to run fairly well

it sounds a bit like a strange problem

try to see if the system will boot on 1 stick of RAM only and if not swap the RAM over to the other stick and see what happens this will tell us if teh RAm is bad or not
just make sure that the RAM is in slot 1 (usually closest to the CPU socket)

see what happens and if not then we will try something else

troppo

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yup u were right. One of the sticks was bad it didnt even start my comp. Should i get another 512 stick or should i get more? And is it possible to run them in dual channel, even though it didn't say dual channel on the product box?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
it is possable to run RAM in dual channel if your motherboard supports it

now days dual channel is pretty much teh standard because you get twice the bandwidth

it depends do you want or need more RAM or not?

1 gig is still a fari bit and would do fine for gaming it would be cheaper just to buy another 512 stick but if you want to go to 2 gigs i would suggest getting two sticks of 1 gig each because then you can still utilise dual channel and some motherboards will slow down teh FSB speed when all of their slots is filled up

it depends on what yuo want to do with the system spend more on getting 2 gigs which in my opinion is still a bit to much or just get 1 stick of 512
1 gig will run the new windows vista fine but for extra room you could go with 2 gigs but there is still a bit of wait for vista to come out

if you just want to get another stick of 512 make sure that it is the EXACT model and speed and size of the other RAM you have in there other wise dual channel will not work

troppo

Edited by troppo, 15 August 2006 - 12:47 AM.

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
k i tried putting them in dual channel (same slot color) with 2x512mb kingston pc3200 but my computer wouldnt start...it only starts up when the ram sticks are beside each other.

Comp specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/ 2x512K Cache (Socket 939)
Asus A8N-E motherboard
2x512mb pc3200 kingston ram
7800gtx 256mb

Edited by t3chnon3, 15 August 2006 - 04:57 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well,
what are the slot colours???

did you have them installed in slot 1 and slot 3 ???

slot 1 is closest to the CPU socket

and did you replace the RAM or just try to use the bad one again???

troppo

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
it was in slot 1 and 3(blue slots) and i got a new pc3200 512mb to replace the bad ram.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
and it didnt boot at all??? thats strange

well see if it will boot with first one stick of teh old RAM and then replace it with the new RAM adn see what happens

then if they both work put them both back and clear the CMOS using teh jumper

troppo

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
they work individually but when i start the computer it stays at the screen where it shows the drives and stuff. >.< ugh i dunno i think ill juz bring it in and get it fixed up cause this is getting annoying.

Thnx for ur help troppo.

Edited by t3chnon3, 17 August 2006 - 12:50 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no worries its a shmae that you couldnt get it fixed but if you want just see if it will boot with them side-by-side running in single channel mode just before you take it in see what happens

sorry i couldnt help more

troppo

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ya it works side by side. Naw iz k, juz that i wanted to see if there would be a huge improvement if i put it in dual. I'm thinking of getting dual ram and trying them out first before i actually send my computer in for analysis.