Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching hard drives

• Please log in to reply

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got a new hard drive and i want to make it the master drive if i copy my only hard drive to my new one and then changed the new one to master do i still need to back up my files before i change hard drives.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi love heals all 777. I would backup files then if something
goes wrong you won't have to problem to worry about. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also how are you planning on "copying" the original drive?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Some companies, like Maxtor, offer a program to copy all of the data to the new disk. So you might go to the web page of the maker of the disk and see if they have such a tool.

You can not just copy the files using Windoze, you need a special program like I mentioned above or other programs, such as ghost.

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
A program called disc wizard came with my hard drive and i heard it was better to swicth them becaues my old drive is 5400 rpm and the new one is 7200 but if is is going to caues problems or is to hard to back up i will leave it alone

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't think disk wizard (seagate right?) will do the drive imaging as kemesa is describing...i think (and through my research) that disk wizard will only help you to format and initialize the drive for use as a secondary hard drive

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
so should i just leave my hard drives alone

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Hmmm, according to:

http://www.seagate.c...use_dw2002.html

you can use disk wizard to copy the existing data. Just follow the instruction for what you want to do. I would copy the data to the new disk, don't wipe out the old disk, and keep the old disk out of the system for a bit until you are sure that everything works.

This all assume that you have a Seagate disk with DiskWizard.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The question is what do you want to do with the disks? Do you want extra storage? Do you want backup storage? Do you want to replace your existing disk?

I tend to use the old disk in a USB case for backups and use the newer, faster disk for the system, although sometimes I use the newer larger disk for backups.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wish i had found that document as opposed to the one that i did..hehe

Advertisements

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
All i really want to do is make the new drive master and use the old drive for extra space

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Do you have a Seagate disk? If so, use the link above and follow the instructions for:

"As the Boot drive keeping the old drive in the system"

I am not sure if it wipes out the old disk, but I would not wipe it out. My personal suggestion is to follow "As the Boot drive removing the old drive from the system", then after a month or so add the old disk to the system and wipe out the data, but that is because I am paranoid and don't trust new equipment until it has run for a bit (infant mortality).

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes i have a seagate drive, but it is already installed can i go back and use the new drive as Boot drive and keep the old drive in the system and if i do should i back up my files and waht is the best way to do so

Edited by love_heals_all_777, 15 August 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Who makes the new drive?

love_heals_all_777

love_heals_all_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
seagate