Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD & admin password scrambled

• Please log in to reply

@BSODmercy

@BSODmercy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This morning, I tried to boot up my computer and I get the BSOD. I can't run Windows System Recovery b/c the admin password is not being recognized. I called Dell Tech support (my warranty has lapsed) and they want to charge me $99 to rid my computer of some virus that causes the BSOD and scrambles passwords.

Could someone provide me with some information? What is the name of this virus? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I have a Dell:
- Inspiron 9100,
- Wondows XP Pro,
- Norton installed (if that makes any difference)

I would say my skill level is advanced novice.

Thanks all!

PS Googled symptons of virus and nothing came up. Dell tech mentioned that this virus was all over the news a couple weeks ago. I could not find it in the Google news section either. Thanks again.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi @BSODmercy...

Can you boot the machine to the Safe Mode and use the Administrator account to run you're AV? Do you have your installation cd in case we need Recovery Console?

You might also download Stinger and run it on the machine in Safe Mode.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 August 2006 - 12:56 AM.

@BSODmercy

@BSODmercy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi wannabe 1,

No, I tried to run Windows from the disc but it keeps asking for my password. My password has been scrambled so I'm stuck. I can't run Recovery Mode nor any mode b/c of the password problem. Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Most Dell cd's include the option for a repair installation of the operating system...I don't recall having ever been asked for a password to run that procedure. Have you tried that?

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.