Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help - Computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

shenny

shenny

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have used computers for several years, but I do not know the in and outs like many of you, so you may as well treat me as a total novice.

I turn my computer on, get rolling and within five or ten minutes, it kicks out. Just the computer itself. The lights from the Internet box stay on. For the longest time, the computer would only kick out one time each log on, but now it does it two, three or even four times.

Anyway, I recently bought a new monitor. My kid has added some games, but I have deleted them from add/remove programs. I cannot remember, however, how soon after these things happened that the compter started going haywire, but I think it was quite a while later.

I have run spybot, adaware, AVG, registry scan, nothing works.

Here is MSN's error:

"You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

This has probably happened 500 times. Before my computer fries itself, please help me.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks.

I did all that. Two things from advisor that stuck out:

- Yahoo Messenger uses too much memory

- Too much memory is allocated to Internet Cache.

Please advise.

Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use Yahoo Messenger then it uses too much but that's all you can do

If Tune Up gives you the option to adjust the internet cache, do it that way, you may see it set at 1024 MB but it can be set to between 100 - 250 MB

Is it running any better now

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Much, much, much better, knock on wood.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Okay, it just did it again. However, this time, instead of just dying and going black, it rebooted. I hurt a buzzing sound coming from the power strip, and off it went. I hear that sometimes. I unplugged the computer and plugged it into a wall outlet. However, the power strip makes a noise, and the computer then re-boots. I changed power strips, but the same thing happens.

Same error: "You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer."

I am getting worried that my computer will die if this happens too many more times.

Do I have too much running in the room?

Maybe my monitor is wrong?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get the noise with both power strips?

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes to the noise.

Now, it just kicked out without a reboot and no noise.

I am at a loss, Keith.

Should I be running the program you suggested on all profiles/users?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you switch everything off with the exception of the tower and the monitor, remove the plugs from the power strip for the things you switched off, (printer, scanner)

Boot the PC does the strip still make the noise

You run post 2 for all users

Advertisements

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
So just unplug everything but the monitor from the strip (because the tower is in another outlet)?

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
BTW, I do not know what post 2 means.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes for the monitor

The things in post 2, this thread were OK to run for all users

shenny

shenny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Should I run for all, though or does it hit all when I just run on mine (admin)?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Your account will cover the whole PC