Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp start up

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is any way I could speed up windows xp start up because from when i turn my computer on to when it has loaded it takes a couple of minutes. When I first got my computer it only took about twenty seconds to start up at most. My computers memory is barely filled up at all it has a 120gb hard drive and only 25 gb is being used. I found this optmize xp website but it costs $30 to buy it and it is just a notepad document. If anyone has the optimize xp document can they please send it to [email protected] or post it in this topic.

Or if you know any way to speed up start up without changing settings like themes etc.

Please spare some time to help a waiting person.

Thanks

Advertisements

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
have you tried scanning for adware/spyware/malware + viruses? that is probably all that is wrong with the computer. my friend's computer was the same way. ran adaware se and spybot and after deleting nearly 1,000 objects total, her computer booted like it was brand new. so i'd say try doing that (if u havent done so already). if u have, maybe defrag, turn off some items that load that u dont need. make sure u only have teh bare minimum that load (next to the system clock) as that hogs resources and the more programs u have, the longer it takes to completely load windows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From here go to step 9 boot then download BootVis, make sure to get the instructions.