Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot acess my second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

confusedxpuser

confusedxpuser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling:

[size=7][b][font=Impact] calling to the computer gods i need help

im running a pc with windows xp on it its also got service pack 2 on it the main problem is that i cannont acess th edisk or formatt hte disk. ive looked to see if device maanger has found it by using the plug and play setting and yes it has found it and then i have gone to disk management to partition the disk and give the disk a drive letter and then it asks me if i would like to formatt the drive so i click on yes then it tells me that windows cannot formatt disk, the disk was working fine pior to installing the service pack 2 could this be a software conflict between the disk and xp the disk ive got is a hitachi deskstar hds728080plat20

Edited by confusedxpuser, 15 August 2006 - 07:09 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.hitachigs...tting_Guide.pdf there's hitachi's partitioning and formatting guide...though...disk manager should be able to do it

you could go to http://dban.sourceforge.net/ and get darik's boot and nuke and completelyl wipe the drive...which may allow you to format and partition it after you're done...my suggestion here would be to make the bootable disk by following the instructions...then turn the computer off and remove your primary hard drive completely from the system...just leaving the hitachi in there...then boot from the nuke disk and nuke the drive (that way you don't accidentally wipe your main HD)...then put the other drive back in and see what happens

confusedxpuser

confusedxpuser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok i will try that do you think that i could asls be a software fault eg service pack 2

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....it's possible.... i wouldn't call it likely...but it is possible..you could try removing service pack2 and see if that brings your drive back... or you could try updating the drivers from t he hitachi website

confusedxpuser

confusedxpuser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
im back running the pc it was not any thing do with software guess what was causing all the trouble it was the ide (flat ) cable, the copper cable had become twisted and could no longer communicate with the mother borad ive now replaced thhhe cable with a Belkin clear ata round cable saves space and alot faster then the standard flat cable. cheers for all your help and hope this is some help to those who have simmiliar pobs

Edited by confusedxpuser, 24 August 2006 - 09:01 AM.