Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shut Down is slow now

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok, before i installed the XP service pack 2 my laptop shut down without a problem. After I installed the beta XP SP 2, when I got to shut down or restart, the little window that has the choices to restart, standby, or shutdown comes up like it should. But the hourglass immediately comes on and I can't click anything.

The screen goes from color to black and white and darkens slowly to black. Until it goes totally black, I wont get a mouse arrow to check the box I need on the little window. When I do check the box, my desktop comes back to color and brightness. then shuts down.

What is going on here, since I installed the new service pack, and can I change how it shuts down?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hey Laptop Boy how'd you get SP2 beta? Are you a MS beta tester? <_<

SP2 is still far from finished, it's not supposed to be released until sometime in June, and I'm pretty sure they just released a new beta last week. I'd recommend you uninstall the beta and wait for the final version to be released. :D

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Microsft has released SP2 RC1 for public use.

http://www.microsoft...sp2preview.mspx

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hey Laptop Boy how'd you get SP2 beta? Are you a MS beta tester? <_<

SP2 is still far from finished, it's not supposed to be released until sometime in June, and I'm pretty sure they just released a new beta last week. I'd recommend you uninstall the beta and wait for the final version to be released. :D

No I am not a "beta tester". MS let me download this, so it must be cool with them. :D

I know how to shut down now without a hitch. Just click Log off and wait for the welocme page, and hit turn off button.

This download took me 2 hours to do and I am not uninstalling it. My PC is faster and running smooth. :P

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Microsft has released SP2 RC1 for public use.

Didn't know that. I'll have to check it out! Learn something new every day... :D

Thanks for the link Nathan.

edit: 273mb <_< and they must have the download speed capped at 100KB (my cable will go 300KB) 100KB = ~45minutes

Edited by admin, 03 May 2004 - 10:03 PM.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
It was downloading at about 128 kb actually.

Edited by Laptop Boy, 04 May 2004 - 03:59 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

It was downloading at about 128 kb actually.

Must be throttled depending on demand. I have it installed on a secondary machine--no problems... yet. <_<