Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Computer won't comunicate with brroadband modem(SB5101)

• Please log in to reply

steve2005A

steve2005A

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The modem works OK because we have got online with another computer. Our main computer won't talk to the SurfBoard modem so it can't get its IP address. The default IP address is inserted instead of the correct IP address.

Both Internet Explorer and FireFox return an error " can't display this page" the page displayed is always the same and consists of an index of sites.

The bottom of the screen contains " res://C...........

We have used Adware and removed 91 files.
We have used Norton and removed 5 files.
We have tried to clear the cashe, temporary files, etc.

Windows XP was reinstalled a couple of days ago but made no difference. Unfortunately, we have lost the SP2 update.

We are thinking that we might have to wipe the hard drive and start again from scratch. Adware informed us that it was 445 days out-of-date. BUT because we can't get online we can't update it. ( The Adware was downloaded to a different computer and transferred using a memory stick)

The Norton CD could not be update for the same reason.

I am hoping that error logs will be transferred via the USB memory stick to another computer and hence uploaded to your site.

Thanks in advance

steve2005A

Edited by steve2005A, 15 August 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > device manager > see any yellow ? or !

how does the modem connect to the computer? usb? ethernet?

steve2005A

steve2005A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We have tried both USB and Ethernet. I am not at home at the moment, so can't do as you suggest. However, our service provider has got us to check and there are no crosses or yellow in the device manager.

I am fairly certain that the problem is a highjack.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you get a chance plug the modem in via ethernet and do

Please try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test.

steve2005A

steve2005A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, dsenette for the suggestion.

I have downloaded WinsockFix and will use memory stick to transfer to the sick computer. Will let you know how I get on.

steve2005A