Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Brandon Bredda

Brandon Bredda

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
These are the specs of a computer I am thinking about purchasing:

Module Description Show Details
Inspiron E1405 Intel® Core™ Proc Duo T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Home
LCD Panel 14.1 inch WXGA+ UltraSharp™ TFT Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 120GB Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless and Bluetooth
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Mobile Broadband No Broadband Expresscard technology is available in the market now
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience

Is it possible for me to buy a video card from a third party such as best buy and instal it into this laptop. If so what video cards can i upgrade to? I am lookin at a radeon x1800 mobilt or a nVidia Ge Force 7900 GS is the laptop cabale of the cooling it will need and woudl i have to pay someone to install it? I can not upgrade directly from dell so i would need to do it else where. I am primarily wanting to play a very graphic demanding game called Battlefield 2.

Thanks In Advance,

Brandon Bredda

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's not generally possible to upgrade the video card on a laptop because of the nature of the beasts. The majority of laptops are just not designed for gaming.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
no, i HIGHLY doubt u can.

Brandon Bredda

Brandon Bredda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
why can the company do it then?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
because they build it into the motherboard of the laptop

it is currently impossbale to install a new notebook grahpics card inot a laptop as far as my knowledge goes

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not impossible its just so difficult as to make practically impossible on most, and the ones where it is possible are very large and very expensive and there isnt actually any upgrades for them as they are so expensive they usually come with the best cards so yet to see how easy it is to upgrade.

The company can upgrade it because its not so much an upgrade to that laptop its that they give you a whole different laptop with better video, if you can get it with a video card get something along the lines of an x1600 or 7300-7600 range as thost arae the best affordable but still powerful.

Brandon Bredda

Brandon Bredda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thank you much i am going to go with the nVidia Ge Force 7600 GO...i found a laptop with it that isnt to exspensive haha thanks everyone this site is great keep up the good work

-Brandon