Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I bought a website. Now what?

• Please log in to reply

carjam6

carjam6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I bought a website and the previous owner sent me the files. I really don't know what the next step is and the previous owner isn't helping me.

Wondering if you all could help?

Thanks,
Carrie

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
umm i presume you bought it for a reason. buy a domain name, godaddy.com isn't bad. buy a web hosting package, try searching e-bay's auctions for very cheap ones. update the site content with what you want it to say, upload the site to your web host.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Buy some hosting on ebay. (I get unlimited everything for £5.95 / year! off ebay!)

Then a REALLY checp domain service is www.dynadot.com

Then you need to get the dns name server addresses from your hosting provider, go to dynadot and link them to your domian then download an ftp, what about 1 day then you can upload all the files!

:whistling:

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
First off you say you bought a website. Where did you buy it? You will need to have a registrar for the site to maintain the DNS settings that will point to the website host (which you also need to get, some places offer registrar and hosting packages - such as GoDaddy - but I prefer to have my domains registrar information at one site and then have the ability to host wherever I choose).

1. Verify you have a registrar and verify if the name is currently registered at a registrar and if so and it isn't the one you wish to use then go through the process of having the domain transfered to your registrar.

2. Find a host for the site. There are tons out there. I would suggest going to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and reading what others have said and inquire about ones you have researched.

3. Once you have a host and registrar you will need to get the hosts DNS information (which they will provide you) and enter the nameservers into your domain name settings at your registrar. It usually takes 48-72 hours for a domain name and nameservers to propogate.

4. Your host will provide you with FTP information as well. I would suggest getting a free FTP program such as SmartFTP to upload your files to your public_html folder.

Thats it. Edit and maintain your site locally and upload your files via FTP. Pretty simple.