Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dual and single channel ram

• Please log in to reply

h3lp m3 please

h3lp m3 please

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
i thought all the ram was the same and the mother board sorted all that dual and single stuff out.
is there such a thing as dual channel ram chips and what would happen if you put 2 single channel ram chips (if there is such a thing) into a dual channel mother board.

i think it may be the reason my new pc doesnt work :whistling:

if you want to know its a amd x2 4600+, 2 gig ram 250gb HD and MSI geforce 7900gt 256mb

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Dual channel has nothing to do with the ram itself.. Its how the motherboard detects the ram. So if u have a single channel mobo and ram that will work dual channel your mobo will only use single channel. This is a confusing topic. Many peopel think that di they put "Dual Channel" ram in a single channel mobo it wont work. So basically it dosent matter if u have memory that will work as dual channel and ur mobo only supports single channel. I have the same thing. I use 2 512 sticks of memory that will run dual channel but my mobo only supports single channel so it runs single channel... Sorry if i just confused you btw.

h3lp m3 please

h3lp m3 please

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
how about the other way around like single channel ram into a dual channel mobo. my pc is not wrking and i want to know if that is the problem

thanx in advance