Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strain of win32.backdoor.ciadoor plaguing me! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Please follow the instructions as far as you can then take a screenshot by doing the following:

In Windows a screenshot of the entire monitor, complete with taskbar, can be copied to the system clipboard by pressing the Print screen key (normally located in the top row on the right-hand side of the keyboard)..

You can then paste the clipboard into a program like MS Paint to save it as an image file or paste it directly into a document.
  • Press the Print screen key
  • Click the "Start" button (normally located in the bottom left of your screen).
  • Click "Run" & type "mspaint" (without quotes) & click the "OK" button.
  • Wait while the application "Paint" opens. Once it is open, proceed to the next step.
  • Click the "Edit" menu and select "Paste".
  • Click the "File" menu and select "Save As...". A dialog box will appear.
  • In the "File name" field, enter a name of your choice.
  • Click the "Save as type" drop-down and select "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE*;.JFIF)".
  • Click the "Save" button.
Now, upload that image here via the "File Attatchments" section when posting a reply.

Advertisements

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok..here you go:

SYSTEMMECH.JPG

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Also by the way, i just noticed UI Tweak isn't working. A remnant effect from the virus i guess. Everything else is...(cept panda which we're still trying to fix...)

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Download the file I have attatched to this post called Panda.zip. Unzip it your Desktop and double click Panda.reg to merge it into your registry. Reboot and see if Panda will load now.

Attached File  panda.zip   573bytes   89 downloads

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Vikesrock, Kevin: You are actually a miracle man! Thats immense. The computer is working perfectly as if the virus had never happened.

While you're helping me however, can you quickly explain how you get rid of the black bits around the writing on my desktop. This screen shot will show you what i mean...also, since you've seen all my processes running etc on my hijackthis reports, any advice on improving my computer performance?

desktop.JPG

I'll probably come online to the chat room tonight to say thanks,

Ben

Edited by Ben Garman, 17 August 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
You finally stumped me there :whistling: Not sure how to get rid of the black outlines on the text of each icon. You might try asking in chat.

Your log appears to be clean. If you still have any problems let me know and we will work on diagnosing those through other means. If not, there are just a few more things to go through to finish this off and help prevent future infections. Please post one more time even if you have no problems so we can mark this thread as resolved.

Setting a new Restore Point
Go to Start >> Run - type control sysdm.cpl,,4 & press Enter.
  • Tick the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
  • Click Apply
  • Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click OK
Windows Update
Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at Microsoft Update Site.

Prevention
A good virus scanner is a necessity in today's computer environment. Many virus scanners include active components that protect you from infection without even running a scan. Some good free antivirus programs include:
AVG Free
Avast! Home Edition (Antivirus & Firewall)
AntiVir

A firewall is the first line of defense standing between the internet and your computer. Some good free firewalls are:
Zone Alarm
Outpost
Tiny Personal Firewall
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Adaware SE and Spybot SD are a pair of anti-spyware scanners that should be run every week or two. Although there is some overlap there are many pieces of malware that is caught by one of these and not the other, therefore it is recommended you use both to compliment each other. Spybot also contains two other useful pieces. The first is "Immunize", this helps protect your computer against known exploits. The second is "TeaTimer", with this feature enabled you will receive notifications of all changes to the registry such as programs adding themselves to start-up and you default search page being changed.

Spyware Blaster is a powerful tool that prevents "drive-by" downloads and other unwanted installations. It also uses no system resources, run it once and you're all set. Spyware Guard Is a realtime protection engine to guard your computer from spyware. This program does for spyware what an antivirus program does for viruses.

IE-Spyad is a program that only needs to be run once to protect you from many malicious sites. It adds domains of known adware companies into the Restricted List of Internet Explorer, preventing them from performing malicious actions on your PC.

The MVPS HOSTS file is a file you can download and use to replace your regular hosts file. It prevents many sites from performing malicious actions by blocking the sites from ever being accessed.

Together these programs form a powerful barrier between the Internet and your computer. However, all the programs stand alone and feel free to eliminate any you are not comfortable with. Any protection you add to your PC is better than no protection at all.

Alternative Programs
Here are some alternatives that are either less suceptible than others to malware or don't contain malware where similar programs do.

Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)

Desktop Weather - Free taskbar weather program that is free, malware free, and resource light.

Firefox - This is an increasingly popular alternate browser. Whilst Internet Explorer is not a bad browser, almost every exploit crafted is targeted to take advantage of an IE weakness.

Edited by Vikesrock8411, 17 August 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok thanks. I already use firefox as my default browser.
Speak sometime, you're a lifesaver.
Ben

Vikesrock8411

Vikesrock8411

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.