Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to add Ram, Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

angryamerican

angryamerican

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am trying to add a stick of 1GB ddr2 667 ram to my computer adding to the other stick that is already in there. both are the exact same speed, brand, etc... i know that both sticks work and both ddr slots work, i have tried some trial and error and both sticks work perfectly fine in both slots.

the problem is, when i put both in at the same time, my computer will not boot. it gets the blackscreen and the rror says some thing like....
the file system32\drivers\ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt.

i recently changed mobo and cpu, and reinstalled windows on a new drive because my old one would not boot. so currently i am booting from a new hard drive, while my old one is still set as my sysmte drive(i think this might be what is causing the error.

if anyone knows how i can solve this problem and be able to run my comp with both sticks of RAM that would be awesome

thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Can your computer handle more RAM? It sounds like they're identical, so the only reason in my mind that this would happen is that your computer cannot handle more RAM. For example, you may have four slots, but your computer might only be able to handle one gigabyte of RAM.

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
nah, 2xddr2 slots on mobo, it can handle 2GB, im trying to run 2GB(2x1GB)

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
anyone have any other ideas? or anyone know of a way to switch which hard drive is the system drive, i think that might have something to do with it

angryamerican

angryamerican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
anyone got any ideas?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Firstly, can you confirm:
do you have two physical hard drives in the system?
If so, is Windows on C partition?
Is the Windows partition on the drive which is configured as a Master? (or do you have 2 sata drives instead?)
Does the system still boot ok with just the one stick of ram installed?

Do you know the make & model number of your motherboard? If not, you can download Everest from here & run it. It should tell you the motherboard information :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you want to make your new hard drive as the system drive just change it to master by turning the switches on the back of each hard drive.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
When you add the additional RAM, windows may try to make a pagefile equal to 1.5 times installed RAM. If you don't have an additional 1.5 gigs on you hard drive, it may not boot.

Just a thought.

:whistling: