Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer So Slow

• Please log in to reply

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am having problems lately with my computer running very slow. It takes a long time to open programs and I cannot have too many programs open at the same time.
I have a Dell with Windows XP Home. I have a Pentium 4 2.2 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. It has just started running this slow. It used to work very well. I have been listing items on Ebay and it just about freezes up every time I am running Turbo lister and IE.

help please

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The fastest way to see what may be going on is to go to Start /Run /open=msconfig /OK. The system configuration utility should come up. On the far right is a Starup tab,click it. At the bottom click "disable all" then OK then restart the computer. If when the PC restarts it is behaving you'll know that something starting with the PC is the culprit.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You also have to take into consideration 256MB of RAM is not very much for a modern computer.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.ccleaner.com/

download that run it

then defragment your computer if you already disable any thing in start up go back to msconfig and enable start up

go start click run type prefetch...upper left corner...click edit....select all...right click on any blue file...click delete