Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Rom problems

• Please log in to reply

deegibbons

deegibbons

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi everyone,

I decided a day ago to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows XP. Well, that just didn't work. I couldn't get the computer (it's older) to see the disk in the cd rom. And when I used the boot disks, I kept getting thee strange errors. So I gave up and just decided to try and install Win98SE. Did that no problem! But, as I'm trying to get the sound card and other drivers loaded on, I've discovered that my cd rom isn't recognizing any cd's. What I mean is, I can put a cd in, (I can see the cdrom listed under the device manager, by the way) but then I can't access the drive. Even in Windows Explorer it won't let me open it. It tells me the drive is not accessible, to retry or cancel. And on top of that, it will not recognize my cd burner at all.

I've tried going into device manager in safe mode, removing the drives, and then restarting, only to have the exact same situation.

Any help? ideas?

Deanna

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you never tried re-installing XP until now, could be your PC is not set up to boot from a CD, which you do by changing the boot preferences in the BIOS setup (usually hold down the 'DEL' key after switching on to get into BIOS setup).

Some older machines however don't have a CD boot option, you will only know by going into the BIOS setup and having a look at the boot-sequence options that are available.

deegibbons

deegibbons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, but I did set my BIOS to boot from CD, but it wouldn't do it. I put in a Utilities CD I made and it found that, but for some reason it won't recognize the WIN XP CD. And for some reason, even now that I have WIN98SE loaded on, when I put the WINXP CD in and click setup, it gives me a invalid page fault error. I don't know what is up with that.

Deanna