Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

wireless print server questions

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I am trying to plan out how to go about setting up a new printer and NAS (network attached storage) drive on my existing wireless network. I will be using a USB printer and a wired NAS. I have not bought the pieces yet as I am not sure if I can get one access point / print server to allow both devices to link wirelessly.

I am looking at the Netgear Wireless Print Server 54 Mbps w/ 4 Port Switch - WGPS606 - WGPS606NA (specs here at buy.com). If I read it right I will be able to hook up any USB printer to the USB port and a NAS to one of the the RJ-45 ports. Hopefully ending up with both connected wirelessly.

Any one see any problems with this plan?

The alternative is to get a wired print server and NAS then link both with RJ-45 to the Linksys WRT54G 4 port 802.11g router I already use, but the possibility of a wireless connection is nice. It would add a few dollars but free up alot of desk space.

edit: seems this print server only supports a few printers, not including the one I had my eye on. Still I would like to know if anyone has this sort of setup working? Other similar products?

Edited by delawaredrew, 15 August 2006 - 07:21 PM.