Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced PSU, now monitor won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

CleaPet

CleaPet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was having major graphics problems, like streaking, the desktop splitting and icons showing twice, the monitor would black out for a moment or two, and sometimes the desktop wouldn't load on initial startup. I was advised I needed a new graphics card but that it could possibly be the PSU, so I decided to replace that first.

Tonight I replaced it -- it didn't work at first then I waited 2 min per the troubleshooting and tried again -- computer booted up as normal and I hit F2 for system defaults when it detected the new hardware. Then I had the same graphics/bootup problems as before and had to reboot twice. Still worked. Then I turned computer off so I could screw the PSU in place for good and put case back on. Now the harddrive (I think) beeps on startup, the DVD and CD drives' lights go on for a second and then go out, and the monitor won't turn on at all. All the fans are working and comp is running though. I opened it up again and made sure all connections were secure -- still wouldn't work. I have a second computer in the home and I opened that one up to make sure I made the right connections -- yep, I did -- still won't work.

I have 2 major problems but I need to tackle this PSU problem first. Please advise, thanks.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Sounds like your graphics card is toast. Which is what I would have replaced first. :whistling:

Anyway, do you have another graphics adapter you can swap in just to test?

:blink:

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Eh, no...but I guess I need a new card. Hope that's all it is. Thanks for info, though -- good to know it's clearly something. :whistling:

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
o.O

What graphics card can I get? Can you tell me the highest I can go without wasting money on frills I can't use and then I can go down in quality based on price? The one I fried was a GE Force FX 5200, I know it was PCI capable, have no idea if that's different from PCI Express. It also had a DVI hookup. I have:

- Pentium 4
- I think it's 1.5, can't tell now
- 512 ram
- the new power supply is 400, up from 350
- Hyundai L90D+ LCD Monitor

Please help -- I want to be able to run Age of Empires III at least, and I'd like another Nvidia -- but I can't tell why some 6 series are more than some in 7 series. Also, I'm not interested in DX10 or the new tech that's coming out in September, DX9 should be fine for me, I think. But mainly I don't want to spend money on something I can't use because of my PC specs.

eta: ah, I need an agp card, apparently -- that limits options considerably.

eta2: going with XFX PVT42KVDE3 Geforce 6800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card -- stop me now if it's the wrong one!

Edited by CleaPet, 15 August 2006 - 11:08 PM.