Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a Wireless network onto the internet

• Please log in to reply

ClarkeSmith

ClarkeSmith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, going to probably sound like a novice, but nm. I am installing a wireless network for a neighbour. I have got 1 PC connected to the router and I know it is working, because packets are being sent and recieved and it is telling me the signal strength, etc. However I can't seem to get it to connect to the ADSL line. Everything is plugged into the router and the lights are on, etc. The connection used to be used on one of the other PCs. When I go through the wizard and select the ADSL broadband option it says it should be connecting normally and ends the wizard. It also isn't listed in the window where you can select available LANs.

Anyone know what to do??

Cheers.

Advertisements

ClarkeSmith

ClarkeSmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The router I am using is a Belkin Router and Im using a Belkin wireless network card. The Operating System on the PC I have installed on the network is XP Home.

gonz826

gonz826

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: In dealing with switching out my Linksys wireless router, you have to install the router software on the "Host"computer (the computer that is connected to the DSL or Cable Modem). The trick is to first have that computer directly connected to the Internet source while installing the software and then switching out the cables to the normal router positions when the program prompts you to. Then you would have the cable from the dsl modem to your router WAN port and a cable from one of the numbered router ports back to your host computer network card. For your other "guest" computers you can then use a cable connection or install a wireless card using the card software. Of course, this is IMHO and I hope it helped some.